• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diarrhea- Update

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Snowdrop has always had oddly shaped poos since we had her. Most days they are fairly large but she also gets quite soft poos if she eats alot of veg.

Today she has had a few carrot tops which I dont think I have given her before and now she has a little bit of diarrhea. Its not alot but how much of an emergency is this? I have never had a bun with it before.

Could there be an underlying condition that is causing her to have so many poo problems or is it just a reaction to the carrot tops? She is fine in herself and eating well.

I will put her on a hay only diet for a few days and get her into the vets on Monday for a check up. Does she need to go earlier than this? I have some fibreplex at home- would that help?

Last edited:
Is it true diarrhoea? (pale, watery liquid stools) or soft stools (dark brown)
I would always treat true diarrhoea as an emergency in rabbits, whereas soft stool are more due to dietary imbalances

Is it true diarrhoea? (pale, watery liquid stools) or soft stools (dark brown)
I would always treat true diarrhoea as an emergency in rabbits, whereas soft stool are more due to dietary imbalances

I am not sure. I have only seen a little bit so far which was watery but amongst it were some darker little stools. I have left a message for the vets to call me back but they havent rung yet.

I think a hay only diet for now is a good idea. How is she in herself? Does she seem uncomfortable or is she lively?

I think a hay only diet for now is a good idea. How is she in herself? Does she seem uncomfortable or is she lively?

She is lively and is eating well. I will def put her on hay only for a day or two. Still not heard back from vets- if she still has it in the morning I will take her in but since its only just started I think she will be ok for tonight.

I hope she's ok. Just keep an eye on her for now, and if you're concerned, ring the emergency vet.
Here a nice link about bunny poo: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

I have rang the vet but they are out on a farm doing a calving at the minute. They told me to clean her up and give her the fibreplex and they will call me as soon as they can. Its been an hour now and she hasnt had any more diarrheoa so hopefully she will be ok untill the morning.

Thanks for the link.

Today I havent seen any more diarrheoa but her poos are still dark and soft. She has been on hay only all day and will remain so for the next few days. I will book her in to see a vet tomorrow after work but just so I ask the right questions has anyone any idea of anything that could cause her to always have irregular sized poo? They are usually much larger than Strawberrys and more rugby ball shaped than round.

I would think most likely it is the carrot tops if she's not had them before.
The fibreplex is a good idea :)

Starlight has a bun in (I think it's Toby?) who has produced odd wet rugby ball shaped poos ever since he arrived, even on diet of hay with small amount of A&P. He was eventually admitted and they thought he had peritonitis, he was treated and his next set of poos were glorious. I don't know if the problem has recurred though - you could try PMing Kris to see if she can help at all?

Thanks Santa- I will look into it. She has always had an icky tummy so I am always really carefull with veg etc.

She now also has a small nip wound on her nose after Strawberry attempted to eat the bit of fibreplex that had dripped when I syringed it!

Back