• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Found - Birmingham

kizz

New Kit
Okay not sure if this is the right place for this? :?

However 2 members of the public came into the veterinary surgery where I work today holding this poor bun, and told us that the postman had found it? Im guessing they agreed to bring it to us as he had no idea what to do with it.

Her rear end was caked in faeces (we couldn't tell the sex when she first came in!), her eyes are very sore, bit of discharge from her nose, nails were super long and she was full of matts.

We've cleaned her up, shes like a light ginger lion head, with a HUGE mane.

So really how do I go about advertising her? Or do I just keep her, which I am happy to do. She did bite me and got a little grumpy with me, but I've no problem with a stroppy rabbit :lol:

Any advice would be great :D

As she's come in as a stray, even though I would think in that state she's been dumped. You will have to hold her for 7 days before she can be adopted.
Just in case her owners come forward.

Then you need to decide if your going to keep her as your pet or find her another place to go.
You could advertise her on Rabbit rehome, your board at the vets or hand her into the local rescue. That's if your not going to keep her.

I regularly help our local vets out with taking stray rabbits in from them, although I do get them to do the myxi jab and provide the card to prove it.

Good luck have you got any photo's

Aww poor bunny :( Glad she landed on all 4 paws with you guys.

The state she was in i would say she isnt 'lost' to be honest :( I doubt she will be claimed...

Pics please :D :D xXx

What a shame, is it ok other than being a bit dirty? You can put a free 'found' advert in the express & star to see if anyone comes forward to claim it.

We checked her over, am popping some Lubrithal into her eyes to help with that.

The vet said her back bottom teeth are a little sharp but not major at the moment, but will eventually need rasping. I trimmed all the faeces away and gave her a real good groom and clipped her claws. She's an adorable thing, so yeah if no owners come forward we will keep her.

Thanks for all the answers :)

Okay this is where I find out she isn't a Lionhead :lol: Not very good pics, but all I have at the moment.

090613_102245.jpg

090613_122945.jpg

090613_123004.jpg

Poor little girl! She's gorgeous! Once she's had her vaccination you will need to think about getting her spayed (otherwise unspayed females have an 85% chance of dying of uterine cancer). Perhaps while she had the GA for that the vet could sort her teeth out at the same time? Chances are she's not a dental bun as such, she may have just been on a bad diet - once she gets the correct hay/pellets/veg in the right ratio hopefully she'll be fine...

Oh yes am deffo having her spayed. :) My other female is spayed too. Yes will ask him to do teeth at the same time too.

Luckily for my buns my Sunday job is at the pet shop so shall be buying her lots of new toys tomorrow :D

However I shall hold back for the 7 day period before any vaccines etc incase someone does come forward for her.

Just an update, the owner has come forward for 'Albert' and is collecting this evening.

I got a new hutch and everything too yesterday :roll:

Just an update, the owner has come forward for 'Albert' and is collecting this evening.

I would give them a lecture in bun maintenance & hutch security (Says me, with my loose buns this weekend:oops:)

Well done on clearing her up. She is lovely :)

I hope the 'owners' start to look after her better now they have her back and they pay for you clearing her up and probably making her feel a lot more comfortable.

Oh dear, do you need some rescue buns to fill it????? :lol:

If they think she's a boy and the state she was in maybe you should ask if they would let you keep her. You could ask for updates about her as they obviously haven't been looking after her very well.

Good luck this evening.

Well the owner turned up at the practice this morning and demanded that she wanted her rabbit back!
To which the nurse on duty replies "she went home with one of the nurses at the weekend". Which didn't go down too well with the owner who said she wanted the rabbit now and that she would go and collect her. Anyway I contacted the owner and told her she could gladly come and collect the bun once I had finished my shift this evening.
I told her about the rear end being a mess; her reply "oh it gets like that sometimes" and about her eyes, she had no idea how they could be sore!

So anyway bun has gone home, glad I didn't get too attatched really. But yes we have a spare hutch...which needs occupying! :lol:

Back