• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with injections please

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
everytime i do matts injections, when i take the needle out, some of the liquid comes back out! i do the injection exactly as the vet has shown me, but obviously i'm doing something wrong! today it didn't come back out, but when i picked matt up to put him back on the floor it did!

it's driving me mad now!!!

Do you mean out of the injection site?If so are you sure your putting the neddle in deep enough as you shouldnt be getting meds coming back out

I always put at least half the needle into the skin.If you are having trouble lift the skin up with your other hand then push the needle into the taught skin.Please dont worry as It becomes easier the more times you do It.Good luck

Last edited:
If it's an older bunny (especially a male) the skin will be really thick and you'll have to jab the needle in until you feel a 'pop', which means it's broken the skin...Sorry if that sounds gross.

hmmm... well i am doing it right then according to everyones posts. i have fluked it sometimes and it's been right, then i don't remember if i did anything different.

matt is 3 so not classed as an older male i'm guessing.

i did both bisc and matts injections for three months when they had penicillin. biscs always went ok, and matts just doesn't for some reason. his skin does seem thicker and he is vey fluffy. might have to trim the hair down just a bit to make it easier.

:)

Are you swapping to a new needle before you inject? If not, that might help as the one that the meds were drawn up with will be a little blunter. It does sound as if it's the needle is either not going right through the skin, or you're going all the way through and out the other side!

needle9sq.jpg

this diagram should be self explanatory

what is the substance you are injecting?

it's fortum he's having. it's very fine watery liquid so it doesn't block up the needle or anything.

i've just done his injection and went a little further in with the needle and felt that 'pop' someone mentioned. he jumped though when i started putting the liquid in today and he doesn't normally.

does this mean he has tough skin then if i heard that 'pop' and had to go further? this is what i felt once ages ago when i panicked and thought i'd gone too far and punctured the muscle! :oops: so obviously i didn't.

well none came back out today so i must have done it properly right this time. it's just a horrible feeling that 'pop' thing. and matt jumped aswell.

i also had the skin more taught today which i was obviously not doing enough either. :roll:

i just feel awful because he jumped. the liquid wasn't cold, i let it reach room temperature first like the vet told me.

If your rabbit jump, that mean simply that you have hurt him.

My guess is, as you create the pocket, you didn't insert the needle into the pocket, rather deeper towards the muscle beneath the skin, so the needle head is puncturing on the muscle area, and it hunt him.

If the skin is thick, you insert the needle in slowly, you should get to a point that you feel an empty pocket. At that moment, you should be able to gently move the needle head (you do that to confirm the needle head is in the right spot), and you should feel the needle head not touching anything.

A 3 year old male should have pretty thick skin unless he was neutered early. As long as you make sure you tent the skin and inject parallel to the body, then you shouldn't inject into the muscle. The pop is just the sensation of it breaking the skin.

if i remember rightly, it was about 14 weeks they were neutered, maybe a bit earlier.

from what everyone has put i am doing it right. i do it as the vet showed me.

happyhopping - thanks for that tip about gently moving the needle to know it's in the right place, i wasn't told that so that should help.

sometimes it takes alittle more practice to get it right, I know when I first leant how to inject , I really worried about hurting the cat ! she was diabetic , we had to inject her once aday, I have to say for me it was good I had a vet show me how and was very good at showing me how to do it. I also have friends who are doctors they were able to show me a good way of practicing with an orange and just water in a sringe,
The diagram on the posts above is a good way of knowing how to do the injections, you will get there i am sure. all the best to you .

i did better before. i wasn't putting the needle in far enough. :roll: i've got a bit out of practice since i stopped doing bisc's injections. i'll get there though! matts skin is just different to bisc's. have to go a bit further with the needle.

the good news is that the injections are making a difference to matts snuffles now. he has stopped sneezing and has no pus from his nose now so it's looking good this time. don't want to get my hopes up too soon, but i'm really happy with how much better he is. :love:

so much for matt being good! he must have done at least ten laps round the lounge before to get away from me! :roll: he gave in in the end and i did the injection fine this time. the needle has to be inserted very slowly so must be his skin that was making it tough. so i've got it now!

gave him a good brush aswell as he is moulting at the minute. :love:

If a bun is on long term injections then I've noticed scar tissue can form on the commonly used area's which can then sometimes reject some of the liquid and push it back out of the skin. This tends to happen more frequently with injections that have been pre-drawn for sometime.

If a bun is on long term injections then I've noticed scar tissue can form on the commonly used area's which can then sometimes reject some of the liquid and push it back out of the skin. This tends to happen more frequently with injections that have been pre-drawn for sometime.

thanks for this, that's interesting. matt had the penicillin injections for about two months and now these fortum injections, maybe that's what has happened then, although they have been ok last time, only a tiny bit came back out.

i'll get there!

Back