• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are rose bushes safe?

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
I saw some really pretty rose bushes and climbing roses at the garden centre today and wondered if they are safe for bunnies if they nibbled them?
Anyone know?

Sooty doesn't eat the stem but seems to love the leaves and petals!

She has eaten them for the past 8 years so I don't imagine they are harmful :D

My bridge bunny smudge used to love standing on her hind legs to reach up and nibble the new leaves & petals :roll: Never did her any harm, even though I was convinced she'd end up with a thorn in her from it. She used to love eating the fallen rose petals too although she wasn't that fussed about the yellow ones but the pink & white ones used to vanish in seconds!

We had about twenty five thriving rose bushes in the garden. This year we have about two. By strange coincidence our free-range-by-day rabbits always seem to be standing on their hind legs nibbling the new shoots...'tis a most baffling mystery... ;)

Yes I was about to say the same thing - a rose bush is safe for a bunny to eat but the rose bush itself won't be safe from the bunnies, because it's so tasty that the bunnies will destroy it very quickly!

Yes I was about to say the same thing - a rose bush is safe for a bunny to eat but the rose bush itself won't be safe from the bunnies, because it's so tasty that the bunnies will destroy it very quickly!

Yep. Obviously you can't spray against any rose diseases....our buns have solved that problem though because there are now no leaves left to get diseased... :cry:

they're fine :) i feed my buns rose leaves and petals routinely.

if you actually want the rose bushes though, you'll need to keep the rabbits separate cos you'll have nothing left otherwise ;)

We have quite a few rose bushes and the bunnies love to eat the leaves.

They have eaten off a lot of the bark from the bottom of the plant and will eat any leaves they can reach but we still get lots of roses.

it might be wise to get a quite mature plant that will hopefully be able to withstand a few nibbles

aaah ok.. i was looking at the miniature ones which looked really cute but guessing they would be bare very quickly.. maybe a climbing rose would be a good idea to climb up the fence then there wouldnt be too much to reach! :lol:

Back