• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i found a ring on stews leg.

Stew

New Kit
sorry to be a pain and i dont know if this is posted in the correct section or not so if it isnt i am really sorry.

we have found a silver ring on stew's (our new mini lop we think)left leg, the lady who we rehomed him from said he used to be a show rabbit but given the conditions he was in (i wont elaborate on this but they wasnt the best) we assumed that she wasnt telling us the truth but we have discovered a ring on his leg and wondered if anyone can just help us find out how to trace him back, even if we can just find out how old he is, if he has had imunisations, and if he really was a show rabbit or not.

on the ring it says BRC08k05965 we did look on the brittish rabbit council website but didnt find the information we needed.

thanks in advance.

Call the BRC up and they will give you details, it won't tell you if he has been vaccinated, just what year he was born in and the original breeder.

the o8 part of the ring number is the year of birth the k means the rabbit is a mini lop the rest of the number is for individual identification

Just a word of advice - I don't know if you were thinking of trying to remove the ring, but if you are - you will need to get your vet to do it. Our little nethie Tiny Tim had one on & we had it cut off when he was neutered - I was paranoid in case it got too tight on his leg or got caught on something :? Removing them youself can result in your bunny injuring themselves :(

the o8 part of the ring number is the year of birth the k means the rabbit is a mini lop the rest of the number is for individual identification

Yep this is right - although remember with the year of birth he could have been born in Jan 08 in which case he's about 18 months old, or he could have been born in Dec 08 in which case he's only about 6 months. At least it gives you a 'window' though, I'd split the difference and say he's probably about a year old :)

I also agree with bunnyaddict - I would ideally get it cut off while Stew is having another op, for example if he is going to be castrated or have a dental it could be done at the same time.

I did make sure the ring had plenty of space to turn & for growth as he was stretched out on the grass at the time.

Apart from trying to mate with everything that moves & sometimes things that don't, he's coming on fine & settling in fine.

Gonna make him a run today, as i don't think it's right to have him cooped up all day.

Thanks everyone for your advice :D

Back