• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

fattening up a bunny

Radish

Mama Doe
Hi

I need any advice you can give for fattening up my bunny..

Maisey is rather poorly, she is on antibiotics and she is having Fibreplex plus she has bio lapis in her water too and she is having unlimited hay, loads of veg and I'm giving her supa rabbit pellets every other day just for now to try to get her weight up...she has still lost 30 grams this week.

she is eating well and happily, doesn't sound as congested as she did and she only sneezes occasionally...it's just the weight loss that's a problem because she eats like a horse:lol:

what else can I do???

what does the vet say about her losing weight ? have any investigations been made ? what does he suggest ? is she really underweight ? because the nutriments which might help her put on weight are not good for rabbits anyway since they are herbivors... (some people would give a bit of carrot, banana, oaks but it's ok on a very short term basis not as regular additional diet) or maybe medical supplementation such as critical care, vitamines without calcium,

I'd be feeding her pellets EVERY day, morning and evening.
I would not add anything else until trying that as you dont want to risk upsetting her guts whilst she is on antibiotics.

what's her total weight? What's the cause of her wt. loss?

How long has this been happening?

corns on the cob are meant to be fattening, you can give some and see if that improves her wt.

just a little update to say Maisey has begun to regain the lost weight and she has stopped sneezing, although she is still breathing quite heavily, she is eating really well.

Back