• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

small animal neglect statistics and quotes needed for press release

duracell

Alpha Buck
Hi there people, I am just doing a press release for our party in 2 weeks time and was wondering if anyone here had the neglect and rescue facts and figures for rabbits and or other small animals? I am also looking for good quotes (will ask permission before using)

Also if any one has done a press release before fo rthis kind of thing please help cos I am just making it up as i go along!! :oops:

I'm sorry I can't provide statistics.

Caring for my rabbit has brought about the closest relationship with an animal I have ever experienced; utter amazement at the intelligence, (equivalent of a 3 year old child), strong personalities, & sensitivity of these wonderful creatures, as well as much joy. It has also brought deep sorrow, tears & anger at the way some rabbits needs, both physical & psychological are totally unmet, as HE taught me more about his species.

My "sound bites" - a)"rabbits deserve much, much better".
b)"rabbits are not a child's pet, because of their high intelligence & social needs." However under adult supervision, a child can start to learn the COMMITMENT & DUTY of care we have to all our pets.

These comments are based on observations by one trained in science.

When I described how Thumper had stared to communicate his wants & dislikes to me to an eminent Professor of psychiatry he said, "That is a very complex thought process"

I do not apologize for using old fashioned terms "commitment & duty of care". They are terms which, should perhaps be considered more often by SOME people before adding an animal to their family.
[I am NOT referring to any members of this forum who would not be here unless they cared very deeply for their pets]

I done some research for my book but cant find last years. In 2007 there were 35,000 bunnies rescued thats not the ones that were killed, abandoned never to be seen again (you get what i mean) obv with credit crunch this has risen dramatically. Bunny Burrows in her 20+ years of rescuing only ever saw 1 giant needing rescued now people cant afford them and in Jan 09 alone she saw 10 and had to turn some away as she didnt ahve room.

Just wanted to add. I did the press release and got a whole page in the evening chronicle (newcastle), so it was definatly worth the effort and I will doit again in the future. Still waiting to hear if anyone else is going to pick up on it.

That's a great achievement - well done! :thumb:
Some how we've got to start to change attitudes a lot. Thank you for getting the media involved.

Back