• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Insurance, what would you do??

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Peanut Butter's renewal came through today, it was £12 a month, now it is £13.50. Excess used to be £50 now its £65. That means on average something has to cost more than £80 to warrant insurance.

Now, peanut is my only bun thats insured. i insure dhim last year because i deep down had a niggling something wasnt right. i forgot about it, and then when he had his abcess that paid over £900 to sort it out. hes fine now, but it could come back at any time.

I now dont know what to do. its really only worth it if his abcess comes back, but she said that could be years down the line. and what if i pay £13a month for 3 years, i could be putting that money away for him...

but then if it happened tomorrow and i cancelled it i dont know what id do.

Im in a right confused might about it. what would you do?

Part of me wants to keep him insured because they were so great but then, it sounds so horrible, if it comes back she said she did everything she could, and there wouldnt be many options left.

aargh. i dont know.

HAGGLE!!!! i saved myself £££ today.phone up and say you have a better quote elsewhere and if you have been with them a while they may well offer you a different price.

problem is pet plan are the ones ones who insure bunnies arent they? theres one more but they wont cover peanuts right back leg :roll: so theyl just say that wont they.

if its dog insurance u could haggle easily but i think its harder with bunny insurance..

...but then if it happened tomorrow and i cancelled it i dont know what id do...
This is the important bit... if it DID happen tomorrow, what WOULD you do? Could you find the money if you really had to? Or would it be a matter of letting the bunny suffer or put to sleep because you don't have the money?

If it's the latter, then I'd say the answer is clear! Keep your bunny insured. :D

Mine aren't insured anymore, but that's because I have got 8 and an excellent vet that doesn't mind waiting for payment at times! But if I only had one or two, or even 4, they'd most definitely be insured.

Vera

problem is pet plan are the ones ones who insure bunnies arent they? theres one more but they wont cover peanuts right back leg :roll: so theyl just say that wont they.

if its dog insurance u could haggle easily but i think its harder with bunny insurance..
It won't hurt trying though, will it! ;)

Vera

Difficult one :?

Most of that £900 was for investigations though, wasn't it? Treatment next time round *probably* wouldn't be dire expensive.

I'm guessing if you don't insure him now but change your mind in a few months time his condition will be an exclusion anyway. I think I'd go for it, for one more year anyway....

I decided for 4 bunnies not to have insurance but Artie had an op that cost £336 this year so that would have been a years premiums for all four bunnies!

Difficult one :?

Most of that £900 was for investigations though, wasn't it? Treatment next time round *probably* wouldn't be dire expensive.

I'm guessing if you don't insure him now but change your mind in a few months time his condition will be an exclusion anyway. I think I'd go for it, for one more year anyway....

I decided for 4 bunnies not to have insurance but Artie had an op that cost £336 this year so that would have been a years premiums for all four bunnies!

yeh, he had 3 x rays, 3 operation,s, two to flush one to remove etc so i guess if it happened again it wouldnt be as much because they would know what it was.

I think, what ill do is keep him insured, but be extra skint for at least six months and put cash away for him, and then when ive saved up enough cash, cancel it.

i have the same dilemma.. ive just sent my claim for Alvins stasis and dental... if they dont payup im going to cancel and save the money up instead with a CC as a back up..

After what happened with doghouse35 and Ollies insurance i dont trust the companies as far as i can throw them :evil:

For the sake of the extra £1.50 a month from what you're used to paying, I'd definitely keep it up. It's the only way you'll be covered for a recurrence of the condition isn't it, and as you say, you never know when it's going to recur.

For the sake of the extra £1.50 a month from what you're used to paying, I'd definitely keep it up. It's the only way you'll be covered for a recurrence of the condition isn't it, and as you say, you never know when it's going to recur.

the £1.50 was a bit like "how annoying" but i wouldnt consider cancelling just because of that, its more the excess that annoys me. £15 extra is a big jump!

Keep the insurance because you can't change your mind once it's cancelled due to his preexisting condition.

They put up my excess this year too, but it's now £50. Has anyone had petplan a long time? Will they keep putting the excess up every year?

Keep the insurance because you can't change your mind once it's cancelled due to his preexisting condition.

They put up my excess this year too, but it's now £50. Has anyone had petplan a long time? Will they keep putting the excess up every year?

i phoned them and they said the excess doesnt go up every year its just they do a review of vet bills every april etc so while vet bills go up so does excess.
x

For peace of mind I personally would keep it going at least for the next year and then review the situation.

I know what you mean though it seems a lot of money, we have two and were quoted, I think, £22 a month for the pair, well that's £264 a year, not much less than my car insurance! but within a week of getting the quote Maisey needed the an appointment, then an out of hours appointment the same day and a night in the hospital followed by a follow up appointment costing about £210 in total.

Its a lottery really, but I think if you have had a problem then it would be wise to keep it going now.

For peace of mind I personally would keep it going at least for the next year and then review the situation.

I know what you mean though it seems a lot of money, we have two and were quoted, I think, £22 a month for the pair, well that's £264 a year, not much less than my car insurance! but within a week of getting the quote Maisey needed the an appointment, then an out of hours appointment the same day and a night in the hospital followed by a follow up appointment costing about £210 in total.

Its a lottery really, but I think if you have had a problem then it would be wise to keep it going now.

i think the main thing is that he would never be covered for his legby anyone else, and they would never cover it again if i cancelled. so theres not much i can do really.

He often walks and has to pull his leg a bit behind him, and she said hes likely going to have arthritis in the leg by the time hes four-five years old. so i should leave it.

Yes, I would and if you can squirrel away some extra ready for any excesses then at least you know what you are committed to by way of premiums, especially if money is a bit tight its good to know you are covered.

the £1.50 was a bit like "how annoying" but i wouldnt consider cancelling just because of that, its more the excess that annoys me. £15 extra is a big jump!

It is, but given the likelihood of further problems for peanut, and the fact that bills could easily run into the hundreds each time, it's a relatively small amount to cover that risk.

The policy says that the excess is per illness per year - so I would interpret this as you having to pay £65 the first time this year and no excess on anything else relating to his abcess if it should reoccur on several occasions. An extra £15 is worth it for peace of mind IMO, and if you've already claimed £900 you've certainly got your money's worth already!

The policy says that the excess is per illness per year - so I would interpret this as you having to pay £65 the first time this year and no excess on anything else relating to his abcess if it should reoccur on several occasions. An extra £15 is worth it for peace of mind IMO, and if you've already claimed £900 you've certainly got your money's worth already!

actually thats true, its not £65per thing is it, its per condition., if it comes back i dont think he will even have to pay the £65 because its the same condition.

and if he DOES its only once isnt it. i didnt think of that!

actually thats true, its not £65per thing is it, its per condition., if it comes back i dont think he will even have to pay the £65 because its the same condition.

and if he DOES its only once isnt it. i didnt think of that!
Unless it's changed in the recent years, the excess is paid for each new condition and each new year.

Vera

Our monthly prem is £22.84 for our two buns. Excess has increased £5 to £55.

We have always said we would find the money somehow to sort them if needed so the insurance is peace of mind.

If we paid it for 10 YEARS that would about £2,500 with some little increases.
10 years cover is £20,000. as you said one issue could be well over £1,000.

It does feel like wasted money in one sense but it really is far from it especially as they pay on recurring problems.

EXCESS - I've always read it as per claim. This is because you can bank your expenses if you can afford to and put them all through at once as long as it stays within a time frame.

So if you have the same recurring issue you pay 1 excess if you have several you pay several excess unless you claim for everything at once. True???

Back