• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marcy has bad snuffles

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi there people,

Sorry for only posting when I've got a problem, but I've got a problem with my bunny Marcy.

Marcy is my five and a half year old dinky little Dutch bunny. This morning I went to feed them their vegetables as normal and found her out in the run, with piles of snot and nasty secretions literally pouring out of her nose, she was sneezing and coughing and her breathing was rattly. I took her straight to the vet who has taken a nasal swab and gave her a shot of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. I have antibiotics (Baytril) and anti-inflams to give her at home, along with some metaclopramide just in case. Her lungs are clear and the vet could hear breath sounds so he feels it is upper respiratory/rhinitis. Is there anything else anyone could recommend to help her. Her teeth were normal as far as were visible and no signs of any abscesses or anything.

Surprisingly, she has picked up a little and looks a lot better, and has eaten her grass and pellets. I am happy and confident to syringe feed her if she stops eating again. Is there anything else I need to know to assist her treatment regime? Anything I am missing? Worryingly, she is due her myxi booster soon and I was so worried that it was myxi. Those of you who remember me will know that two of my bunnies contracted nodular myxi last year, Clover and Sumi but they made a fantastic recovery. Vet says he thinks it is pasteurella, no other signs to indicate myxi and response to treatment this morning is quite good, no more snot running at the moment.

I have no experience whatsoever of snuffles or pasteurella in bunnies. Any help would be much appreciated.

Fiona x

Last edited:
Hi Fiona, how are you? Not seen you for so long, we must catch up soon :D.

Get some olbas oil and let wee Marcy sniff it to clear her airways. You could also run the shower and pop her in a cat carrier in the bathroom to let the steam clear her airways too :D. Hope she is feeling better really soon :love:

Give all your lovely bunnies a snuggle from me :wave: xxx

It sounds to me like you are doing everything you can.Just keep her away from other bunnies,wash your hands when you handle her between handling other bunnies to prevent cross infection,keep her dry and off wet grass (I was told that:?) and ensure the dietry and fluid intake is going well with a result from the other end.
Keep your chin up...xxxx

Hi Fiona, how are you? Not seen you for so long, we must catch up soon :D.

Get some olbas oil and let wee Marcy sniff it to clear her airways. You could also run the shower and pop her in a cat carrier in the bathroom to let the steam clear her airways too :D. Hope she is feeling better really soon :love:

Give all your lovely bunnies a snuggle from me :wave: xxx

Hi Sharon! How are you and Scot and all the animals? I was thinking about you the other day - didn't Nicole do well in the marathon eh...fab!!!

Thanks Sharon, I will get the olbas oil and dab it into their hutch -presume it won't harm the other bunnies?!

Hope you are well, must get a wee catch up soon if you are up for it.

Fiona x

It sounds to me like you are doing everything you can.Just keep her away from other bunnies,wash your hands when you handle her between handling other bunnies to prevent cross infection,keep her dry and off wet grass (I was told that:?) and ensure the dietry and fluid intake is going well with a result from the other end.
Keep your chin up...xxxx

Thanks Yvette. At the moment, she is with the other bunnies, hmmmmmm vet told me not to separate them. She is not great without Nell and Sumi beside her, but obviously don't want to risk them here. What do people think?

Fiona x

Thanks Yvette. At the moment, she is with the other bunnies, hmmmmmm vet told me not to separate them. She is not great without Nell and Sumi beside her, but obviously don't want to risk them here. What do people think?

Fiona x

Personally I would keep them together. I have had numerous Rabbits with URTIs and their partner has never been effected. I always find that keeping them together helps reduce the stress for the poorly Rabbit.

If she remains very snotty then Bisolvon, a mucolytic, can help thin out the secretions.

I sent you a wee catch up pm :D

I would not seperate Marcy from Nell and Sumi as the stress of her being alone could make things worse. Of course the downside if you may end up with them getting it too. These things are always hard :(. As long as you keep an eye out for symptoms in Nell and Sumi, if they do contract it you can treat early.

The olbas oil will not do any harm to the buns, so dabbing it about the shed is fine :D.

Personally I would keep them together. I have had numerous Rabbits with URTIs and their partner has never been effected. I always find that keeping them together helps reduce the stress for the poorly Rabbit.

If she remains very snotty then Bisolvon, a mucolytic, can help thin out the secretions.

Thank you for your advice! I will remember about the Bisolvon if it gets too thick. She is actually a lot less snotty than before, nothing has run from her nose for the last three hours, it was like a tap earlier. I will keep them together, though they won't stop nursing her :love: and I'm trying to tell them to keep away.

Fiona x

my bun Bernie has sneezing due to allergy. So everyday, I just clean the fur in his left nose area.

Nice to hear from you again

Back