• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should Alfie have his Myxi injection?

Alfie is doing OK (not 100%) but is still on his inhaler and I presume will be for the rest of his life. His myxi injection is due this month and I am worried if he should have it because he isn't 'well'.

I'm worried as well because we have had cases of myxi on here recently and would never forgive myself if Alfie caught it and I hadn't given him the best chance of beating it.

I will of course discuss this with my vet (I will e-mail him when I'm back at work on Tuesday) but wanted some views from people on here who have had to make this decision because their bun's were not 100% either.

I'm having the same problem with Angel,shes not myxi jabbed yet and my vets arent keen to do it because of her having snuffles.

Scares me to death that she might contract myxi ....I'm sure your vet will advise you whats best for Alfie.x

If his immune system is poor then the vaccine may well be ineffective.

My Spice had the jab a month before geting ill (I should find out today whether it's myxi or not).

I've ordered some mosquito nets for the bunny room windows - are your buns indoors or outdoors? Cos you could get some for the hutches?

I kept Smokey's myxi and VHD vaccines up to date all the time he was on the inhaler. I didn' notice any ill effects in him and decided it was too big a risk to avoid. I am assuming Alfie will also be on an inhaler for the rest of his life, so there will never really be a good/ bad time to do it.
Glad to hear he is doing well, has he settled with being given the inhaler?

I kept Smokey's myxi and VHD vaccines up to date all the time he was on the inhaler. I didn' notice any ill effects in him and decided it was too big a risk to avoid. I am assuming Alfie will also be on an inhaler for the rest of his life, so there will never really be a good/ bad time to do it.
Glad to hear he is doing well, has he settled with being given the inhaler?

Well he was doing really well then about a week ago I noticed his breathing get really back again. I figured out what was wrong, his was holding his breathe so nothing was going in. So now I have to spray the powder into the inhaler then put over his mouth and he has started to let this happen.

Well he was doing really well then about a week ago I noticed his breathing get really back again. I figured out what was wrong, his was holding his breathe so nothing was going in. So now I have to spray the powder into the inhaler then put over his mouth and he has started to let this happen.

:lol::lol::lol: They're not stupid are they, Smokey did that.

If he is still on steroids there will be no point in vaccinating him.
But that's just my unqualified opinion !!

Nosey-rubs to Alfie :love:

I wouldn't vaccinate an unhealthy bunny! You might want to consider homeopathic nosodes though if there is myxi in the area. :)

Vera

I've just had a wee look on the web, and from what I can see vaccines are safe with inhaled steroids, in humans anyway. It seems that inhaled steriods do not damped the immune system as much as those taken orally because they are delivered to the site they are required, rather than an oral form which 'invades' the whole body. Hope this helps, as I said it refers to humans, but I assume all mammals would be the same, definately talk to your vet.:)

Thanks for your input everyone.

Halfpenny - This is why we went down the inhaler route as it was the 'safest' way to get the steriods into him as he will be on them forever now we think, I will be speaking with my vet next week to see what he thinks.

Jane - Alfie said thanks for the nose rubs, mummy hasn't been giving me enough attention lately as she has some silly exam to sit on Monday so has been revising :roll: Have you tried your flower thing yet? ;)

I've just had a wee look on the web, and from what I can see vaccines are safe with inhaled steroids, in humans anyway. It seems that inhaled steriods do not damped the immune system as much as those taken orally because they are delivered to the site they are required, rather than an oral form which 'invades' the whole body. Hope this helps, as I said it refers to humans, but I assume all mammals would be the same, definately talk to your vet.:)

That's really interesting to know :D

Thanks for your input everyone.

Halfpenny - This is why we went down the inhaler route as it was the 'safest' way to get the steriods into him as he will be on them forever now we think, I will be speaking with my vet next week to see what he thinks.

Jane - Alfie said thanks for the nose rubs, mummy hasn't been giving me enough attention lately as she has some silly exam to sit on Monday so has been revising :roll: Have you tried your flower thing yet? ;)

It's too pretty to eat !!

Back