• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby rabbit has diarrhea - advice needed

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've just got back to find that my ten week old buck has had some very wet poos all over my office (where I leave him to play in a pen.) The poos are formed, but soft and have a lot of brown liquid with them. I've looked at his bottom and it's very wet with brown liquid. He's doing poos which look like the cecums, they smell awful (worse than they normally do) and they're very wet.

Do you think this is something to worry about?

We had a very hot day today (very different from the previous week I've had him) and when I went in to see him this afternoon the room was very hot. Do you think this could be it? He's had access to water the whole time and drunk quite a lot of it.

How is your bunny now? I would suggest you see an out of hours vet tonight if you can!
If it is just caecal dysbiosis and he is still eating and drinking and doing normal droppings as well as the caecotrophs then I would think he would be ok til morning. BUT if he seems lethargic and is not eating and is only doing wet runny poo then he needs to see a vet right now. In young rabbits there is a more serious condition called mucoid enteritis that needs immediate veterinary attention.
Any form of stasis/bloat needs urgent vet care. I would at the very least find an emergency vet clinic open and give them a call and describe the symptoms if you are worried. They will tell you whether to come down tonight or not.
Rabbits can get deyhdrated very quickly when they have diarrhoea, upset tums or stasis and an emergency vet would give fluids and pain relief and make an assessment.
I hope your bun is ok:)

You should take your bunny to a vet urgently to get checked out. They can dehydrate quickly and go downhill.

Hope he is OK.

Well I ended up taking him to the vet at 2am last night, vet was very good, has put him on anti-biotics and keeping him in for observation. Has cost me an arm and a leg though, but worth it for the bunny. Thanks very much for all your advice!

I hope the little bunny is ok.
Has the vet tested for coccoidiosis as he may need more than antibiotics?

10 weeks is not really a baby anymore. You can get your bun to a hay only diet for 10 days and see what happens. They can't have diarrhea if they just eat hay

Back