• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jet's got ear mites again :-(

vicki267

Mama Doe
Just checked her ears yesterday as she's had a few more fits and they are a little crusty so I have treated her and Stevie with Xeno 450 for now.

When I adopted her back in Feb, they did advise me that she had just recovered from ear mites and then a few weeks later the vets confirmed that they had gone :)

She has still been having mini seizures (like uncontrollable movements) but she never appears in pain afterwards as she runs around and eats straight away, sometimes she appears to go blind for about 5 mins.

The above happens about once every two weeks and she has already had 2 6 week courses of Panacur to treat for EC.

Could the vet have been wrong when they said the mites had cleared up and they have been living deep in her ear canal coursing her absent moments?

If they are not from a previous attack, I'm assuming they have come in on the bales of hay? Arnie and Kira show no symptoms though and eat the same hay. I also thought they could only live for 21 days off the host, so undertandable after I first buy the hay but not after 3 weeks?

I will start freezing the hay and hope that kills off any nasties - I keep it in a spare wheelie bin (bought for the hay) in the garage.

I also plan on taking all 4 of them along for ivermectin injections in two weeks (as just xeno'd) any harm in using this if showing no symptoms? Roughly how much do these injhections cost and are they much more effective than the spot on?

Any other tips appreciated :D

My Lou used to get them often, i was told a Rabbit harbours mites anyway, but its usually something that will trigger off. Turns out Lou didnt agree with Straw. The first time she had them I stopped using it, all was fine. I then bought it again and she got them again. Ive stopped all together now,and all is well (Touches wood!)

My Lou used to get them often, i was told a Rabbit harbours mites anyway, but its usually something that will trigger off. Turns out Lou didnt agree with Straw. The first time she had them I stopped using it, all was fine. I then bought it again and she got them again. Ive stopped all together now,and all is well (Touches wood!)

Mine dont get any straw - In a way I hope it is the ear mites and not EC causing her fits after all :?

Back