• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matt was at the vets today re.snuffles...

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
this is my post from yesterday -

well today matt has started sneezing more and has discharge from his nose again. i was at the vets the other day as bisc broke his nail. anyway, i could only get in to see the woman vet and not aidan, and i tols her matt didn't seem right, and had started the occasional sneeze again, and she said to give the zithromax longer to work, but matt is getting worse not better. i'm wondering whether the trip to the vets when i took bisc has triggered it all again.

he seems to be uncomfortable which isn't surprising as his nose is full of pus again. and he sounds bunged (sp) up and when he chases and plays with bisc i can hear his breathing aswell, it's snuffly.

he has been outside for small amounts of time, as aidan (the vet) said that the fresh air seems to do him good, and he sneezes all the pus out and clears it a bit. he was happy outside, chasing bisc and binkying.

he's also shaking his ears aswell which is worrying me as i am scared the infection is spreading there.

i'm going to have to go all the way back to the vets tomorrow now to see aidan, when i told the woman vet that he wasn't right on the zithromax. but i'd rather see aidan anyway.

so can i please have some vibes for matt. he seems to suffer more with his snuffles than bisc. bisc had three months on penicillin injections and has been off these for over two weeks now and is doing really well, not a sneeze in sight.

poor matt matt, i'm just going to go and clean his nose up now and give him big cuddles. he's so brave and good with all his medicine and nose cleanings bless him. love him so much , just want to get this under control for him.

i took matt (and bisc) to the vets at 11.30am and aidan checked them over.

bisc is fine, no problems with anything. :)

matt though, has a very wet nose again, he had pus on his nostrils, and whiskers so aidan checked him thoroughly and his teeth are ok, his ears, eyes, and chest etc are all ok.

the problem is in the nasal passages. aidan could hear the noise in his chest when he listened, but the nose wasn't coming from the chest, it was the loud noise from the nose he could hear. it's very loud. when he checked matts back teeth matt was making a horrible noise. :(

anyway, matt is now on a new antibiotic. i haven't heard of it before, i wondered if anyone else has? it's called fortum. the box says fortum for injection ceftazidime 500mg (as pentahydrate) powder for injection. so matt is on this now for a minimum three months to start with, and he has to have two injections a day.

aidan said we should see some improvement in his condition within 4-5 days if it is going to help. matt had an injection at the vets and is much happier since. fingers crossed this is the one that will get it under control for him.

also, matt has a lump on his ear, i mentioned it in another thread. anyway, aidans first reaction was that it could be the start of a tumour. :shock: i did mention maybe it's a wart or a reaction to an insect bite, and he said possibly, but i could tell he didn't think so. he said that because it is so small it isn't suitable to be tested, and he wouldn't want to put him under an anaesthetic to remove it etc at this time. he has taken measurements of it and we have to closely monitor it to see if it changes at all and then discuss from there. when he said tumour i must of looked horrified because he started to try and reassure me! when he said it i felt sick, like i'd been punched in the stomach but aidan said he's seen alot of these and the majority of the time they come to nothing.

so now the plan is to see if we can get matts snuffles back under control again.

matts ok, he's eating and all that, normally, and he seems happy and he's hopping about etc. :love:

matt says he would love some vibes though. :love:

injection time soon! good job matts good if he has to have two a day! just got the problem of catching him now! :lol:

I'm glad you've got something new to try to help sort it out. Poor Matt. I don't envy you having to do two injections a day though!

I'm sure the lump on Matts ear will be fine, esp if Aiden said there was nothing to do now with it. I'm sure Aiden doesn't think before he says things sometimes as when Bells had her abscess come back he made a comment about it not looking good and I think he just saw my face drop and had to correct himself so I didn't look so scared!!

Lots of vibes coming Matts way :love::love::love::love:

I'm glad you've got something new to try to help sort it out. Poor Matt. I don't envy you having to do two injections a day though!

I'm sure the lump on Matts ear will be fine, esp if Aiden said there was nothing to do now with it. I'm sure Aiden doesn't think before he says things sometimes as when Bells had her abscess come back he made a comment about it not looking good and I think he just saw my face drop and had to correct himself so I didn't look so scared!!

Lots of vibes coming Matts way :love::love::love::love:

:lol: he saw me look horrified and then probably corrected himself before i set off crying! :oops:

yeh, the new meds hopefully will be ok. i'm lucky matts so good though. he will be fine having two injections a day. he doesn't hold a grudge! :D:love:

my rabbit had snuffles on and off for a year and they just suddenly went on there own accord but now he has just had a huge abscess removed from his cheek and now on a life time of injections. These little buns are so much hard work but are so worth it! Sorry i dont have any decent advice for you. You sound like you have an ace vet though!
Big vibes for matt x

:lol: he saw me look horrified and then probably corrected himself before i set off crying! :oops:

yeh, the new meds hopefully will be ok. i'm lucky matts so good though. he will be fine having two injections a day. he doesn't hold a grudge! :D:love:

Bella wasn't the problem with the injections, she'd just sit there patiently waiting for me to do it. It was me who was scared stiff, even after 3 months :oops::oops: Every time I had to apologise to her coz I convinced myself I'd hurt her even though she never flinched/moved anything!

my rabbit had snuffles on and off for a year and they just suddenly went on there own accord but now he has just had a huge abscess removed from his cheek and now on a life time of injections. These little buns are so much hard work but are so worth it! Sorry i dont have any decent advice for you. You sound like you have an ace vet though!
Big vibes for matt x

thank you. :)

sorry to hear about your bun. hope all is stable now. x

yes, they are such hard work, and all the worrying takes it's toll! i'm 23 going on 45! but you're right, it's worth it, i wouldn't be without them for anything.

Bella wasn't the problem with the injections, she'd just sit there patiently waiting for me to do it. It was me who was scared stiff, even after 3 months :oops::oops: Every time I had to apologise to her coz I convinced myself I'd hurt her even though she never flinched/moved anything!

:lol: aww. i was really nervous at first with the injections and once i thought i'd hurt matt but i think he just moved as i injected so it looked like the needle went too far (see my 'have i punctured his muscle thread!' :oops:)

i'm just getting geared up now to pick him up! so that means him doing laps round the room, me getting all hot and bothered and then him finally surrendering! :lol: sometimes he just looks at me like he knows i won't give up and win in the end, and then he just goes into the carrier, anything rather than me picking him up and cuddling him! :shock: he lets me have cuddles after though! :D

glad bella was ok with her injections. they seem to be ok with injections don't they. much better than syringing, although my two tolerate this well aswell luckily. :)

Poor Matt! He's such a brave boy. Everything crossed that the new ab. works & gets rid of the snuffles completely.

"anyway, matt is now on a new antibiotic. i haven't heard of it before, i wondered if anyone else has? it's called fortum. the box says fortum for injection ceftazidime 500mg (as pentahydrate) powder for injection."

Aiden put my bun on fortnum too. It worked really well on the infection so fingers crossed for Matt. Unfortunately both times we tried it, after about 4 doses it made my bun stop pooing, then eating. Apparently that's not been heard of before (don't think you need to worry). Gutted, going to have to go back and see if there's anything else we can try.

Think there's a few super-stressed bunny-mums around.

Last edited:
I'm glad Matt's got a new treatment to try and I hope this one will work out well for him. Also really hope that the lump turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Loads of healing vibes for Matt.

:lol: aww. i was really nervous at first with the injections and once i thought i'd hurt matt but i think he just moved as i injected so it looked like the needle went too far (see my 'have i punctured his muscle thread!' :oops:)

i'm just getting geared up now to pick him up! so that means him doing laps round the room, me getting all hot and bothered and then him finally surrendering! :lol: sometimes he just looks at me like he knows i won't give up and win in the end, and then he just goes into the carrier, anything rather than me picking him up and cuddling him! :shock: he lets me have cuddles after though! :D

glad bella was ok with her injections. they seem to be ok with injections don't they. much better than syringing, although my two tolerate this well aswell luckily. :)

Hope it's going well for you both, every thing crossed that this really cures the snuffles.

Don't know whether it's right, but I tore up a sheet to the size of a bath towel, hold it by the corners & drop it over the grey blur as he shoots past. Let his head out very quickly while wrapping him up in it. Less run around, & fuss the better with us.

I've also found bunnies much better with injections than syringing - reckon it's much tougher on the Mums at first! It's finding a method that works for you both.

well i'm a bit stunned - i tell matt it's time for his injection, i go into the cage and then he runs out :lol: ... but, he runs out straight into the carrier! :shock: and waits for me to pick it up!!! :shock:

i was just stood staring at him! i was very shocked! anyway, since then he has gone in like this everytime! :shock: must know i win in the end and just better to get it over and done with! :lol:

he's being really good with everything bless him. :love:

he does seem a bit better with his breathing, and his sneezing, but i don't think he's feeling himself yet. still eating, drinking, going to the toilet ok though.

one day at a time though and we will get him better.

i know i've already said it lots, but he's so good and i love him so much. :love::love::love:

Oh there's just too much equality round here! & mine has to make a big fuss, complete with temper tantrums. about any thing to do with vets/medicines! He's not frightened, & it's not traumatic or he'd go & sit on his toilet when it was over, not come running for his treat! I thought you spoke of a chase around the room. It's the only way I found to stop it.

I'm so pleased that Matt is so good. What a marvelous boy & special bunny! He must know that you are helping him. Bless him. Really hopes he gets well soon

Oh there's just too much equality round here! & mine has to make a big fuss, complete with temper tantrums. about any thing to do with vets/medicines! He's not frightened, & it's not traumatic or he'd go & sit on his toilet when it was over, not come running for his treat! I thought you spoke of a chase around the room. It's the only way I found to stop it.

I'm so pleased that Matt is so good. What a marvelous boy & special bunny! He must know that you are helping him. Bless him. Really hopes he gets well soon

yes, i did as he usually runs around the room to get away from me! hence my shock now he has decided to just get in the carrier!!! not that i'm complaining, it certainly makes it easier for me, and less stressful for him which is good. :)

Back