• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to Spay? u/d upped metacam now we have poops!

*fluffybunny*

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

My new lionhead girly Sophie is 16 weeks old now, shes driving me insane with her spraying and general hormonal aggression towards my lil' boy sooty.
He's neutered and just wants to play with her but she has other ideas, it all started at 12 weeks when she got her nipples and she turned into the devil lol
My vet says she can be spayed at 20 weeks but does that seem too young?
I want to bond them but can't while shes like this, before she got her nipples they seemed to get on fine but a Doe on heat is a force to recked with lol and sootys a shy boy who runs a mile when she starts grunting at him through her pen!

Heres a piccy of Sophie

soph3.jpg

Sooty and sophie together when she was 10 weeks before she got her nipples lol

sophsoot2.jpg

Once shes spayed i hope they can make friends again :)

Last edited:
Aaaw, she's gorgeous. Most vets say 6 months for females as it gives them time to develop properly so 24 weeks minimum. If your vet normally does it at 20 then that's 5 months so not that early but I would probably quiz them on what percentage they do at 20 weeks and how successful they are.

Thanks hun, i'd heard 6 months as well but as my vet is very rabbit savy and has buns herself i was gonna book her in at 20 weeks but it does seem young still, im confuzzled :?

She's old enough to be spayed now :) many vets will do it now from 4 months but it depends on the individual vet. If he is happy to do it in a months time then I would go along with that.

My vets will spay from 4 1/2 mths, so around 20 weeks. :) Sophie is absolutely gorgeous. :love::love:

we had one of ours done at 21 weeks.I would do it sooner rather than later is she is aggresive.DO however be prepared for her to not lke you for a while afterwards!! they seem to remember who took them to the vets:lol:

My girls were done around 4ish months as they had turned into horros I think it depends on the weight and health of the bun and the vet

Thanks for the advise everyone :) She is really starting to drive me crazy now lol Shes a house bun and is spraying everywhere! All up the nets and over the carpet!! She manages to squirt it really high.
and poor sooty, he came back from his dental last week still alittle drowsy and he was met by a squirt of wee in his face!! So as soon as she hits 20 weeks i'll book her in.
and sootys actually a black otter tan nethie, he does look different in that piccy, heres some more

soot3.jpg

soot4-1.jpg

With sophie :love:

sophsoot1.jpg

Sorry this ones a bit small
soot2-1.jpg

Pen x

Awwww, Sooty is the same colour as my Alfie. :love::love::love: I :love::love::love: black otters. It sounds as though Sooty will appreciate Sophie being spayed as well. :lol::lol:

ahhh...she's a lionhead. Smaller buns mature much quicker than normal buns :lol::lol: I'm not surpised she's giving you grief - The neddies in my siggie were absolute monsters until they were neutered. Rosie is now very well behaved if a little scatty. Panda is not so great but he was neglected for most of his little life so has behaviour issues.

Last edited:
She is a little terror lol but also very loving when shes not spraying poor sooty with pee!
On another note she had terrible front Inscissor malloclusion and was having them burred every 2 weeks but as shes grown they look like they are starting to meet, the vet was gonna remove them when she spayed her but i think i'll leave them if they are starting to meet, but on the other hand I'd rather everything was done at the same time so she'd only need one anesthetic. Its a tough decision.

My vet happily did Willow at 5 months as shes a fairly big dwarf lop, but she def wont touch my mini rex Autumn until 6 weeks and preferebly had a season as it make things more defined and easier to remove in small buns. She too is driving me and her husbun bonkers at the mo - fortunately he is a very laid back lad and takes it in his stride so no scuffles.

Update

I took the advice to spay at 5 months and have booked Sophie in for her spay on Friday. Shes nearly 21 weeks and the vet said thats fine.
I'm so worried, I hope she'll be OK. My vet is very rabbit savvy, so i trust her but i just want it to be over with.
Atleast it should calm her hormones down as she getting worse! Weeing everywhere including on poor sooty and dropping 'bombs' all over the place :lol:

Update

I took the advice to spay at 5 months and have booked Sophie in for her spay on Friday. Shes nearly 21 weeks and the vet said thats fine.
I'm so worried, I hope she'll be OK. My vet is very rabbit savvy, so i trust her but i just want it to be over with.
Atleast it should calm her hormones down as she getting worse! Weeing everywhere including on poor sooty and dropping 'bombs' all over the place :lol:

Good luck!!
I have a Sophie too and she was spayed just over 2 weeks ago, you would never know except no more spraying, nipping, onking and leaving hige piles of little parcels EVERYWHERE :shock:
Just make sure she has enough pain relief for a few days x

Back