• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder infection? Update

foofoo

Alpha Buck
I've just come home and found foofoo totally soaked with wee around her bottom area, would this be a bladder infection? She was at the vets recently because I found a hard lump around her stomach area which the vet said was her stomach distended, some days her tummy has been okay others its slightly swollen and hard. She's eating and pooing normally but has been a bit quiet.

I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow she was supposed to be having her myxi jab and I wanted the vet to check her tummy again. Should I give her some metacam just now? I have Johnson's small animal shampoo would this be okay to use to get her bottom cleaned up?

Last edited:
I've just come home and found foofoo totally soaked with wee around her bottom area, would this be a bladder infection? She was at the vets recently because I found a hard lump around her stomach area which the vet said was her stomach distended, some days her tummy has been okay others its slightly swollen and hard. She's eating and pooing normally but has been a bit quiet.

I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow she was supposed to be having her myxi jab and I wanted the vet to check her tummy again. Should I give her some metacam just now? I have Johnson's small animal shampoo would this be okay to use to get her bottom cleaned up?

As Metacam is a POM you need to contact your Vet about administering it. We are not qualified to advise you to do so.

It may be that she has a UTI but there are other causes of incontinence and a full examination will be needed before a diagnosis can be made.

Personally I dont use Pet Shampoos on Bunnies. I would just rinse her off with warm water. She will need to be thoroughly dry before going outdoors (if she is an outdoor Bun)

Good luck at the Vets

Keep a close eye on your bunny tonight, being a little quiet is a bit of a worry but as long as eating and pooing ok you'll be ok to wait for vet til tomorrow. Any changes tonight you'd be wise to ring up the out of hours. Our bun once wet himself prior to an episode of bloat/stasis so just keep an eye on your bun tonight. The swollen tummy makes me a bit suspicious. Just warm water to wash I agree, and keep as much of bunny dry as possible. If not freaked out by a hairdryer you could use this on a very low setting and low heat to help dry thoroughly but test regularly to make sure not too hot.

Thanks for the advice. Managed to get her cleaned up a bit and dried with the hair dryer, she is deaf so she didn't mind too much thankfully. Her bits are quite swollen and I had to cut some some of the fur away, just hope she'll be okay till tomorrow :cry: She's still eating and pooing okay though.

I don't think it's necessary to give metacam as long as she's eating and pooing normally.

I don't use Johnson's shampoo, one of my bridge bun Little Happy never eat hay, and he has wet bottom quite often, so I just take him to the fountain and use warm water to rinse that area.

does your bun's diet compose of 90% hay? As that's the way a rabbit's diet should be. Also, are they hay stem mostly?

Out of interest, Metacam has to be given when there is something in the stomach, it can't be an empty stomach, and if your bun's situation changes tonight, the formula is:

dosage (in ml) = weight in KG x 0.1 / 1.5

so if your bun is 2 KG, then dosage = 2 kg x 0.1 / 1.5 = 0.13 ml

Thanks for the advice. Managed to get her cleaned up a bit and dried with the hair dryer, she is deaf so she didn't mind too much thankfully. Her bits are quite swollen and I had to cut some some of the fur away, just hope she'll be okay till tomorrow :cry: She's still eating and pooing okay though.

Please don't be offended, but as you say she's still swollen, are you 100% sure there are no signs of flystrike?

I don't think it's necessary to give metacam as long as she's eating and pooing normally.

I don't use Johnson's shampoo, one of my bridge bun Little Happy never eat hay, and he has wet bottom quite often, so I just take him to the fountain and use warm water to rinse that area.

does your bun's diet compose of 90% hay? As that's the way a rabbit's diet should be. Also, are they hay stem mostly?

Out of interest, Metacam has to be given when there is something in the stomach, it can't be an empty stomach, and if your bun's situation changes tonight, the formula is:

dosage (in ml) = weight in KG x 0.1 / 1.5

so if your bun is 2 KG, then dosage = 2 kg x 0.1 / 1.5 = 0.13 ml

Yes. I'd say her diet is probably 90% hay. I'm lucky as she doe's eat a lot of hay and prefers the hard hay and stem to the soft stuff :)

Please don't be offended, but as you say she's still swollen, are you 100% sure there are no signs of flystrike?

No offence taken :) I did check her while I was washing her, no signs of flystrike and she's indoors but I'll check her bottom area again just to make sure.

No offence taken :) I did check her while I was washing her, no signs of flystrike and she's indoors but I'll check her bottom area again just to make sure.

;) Thank you. I'd seen two rabbits, and an 18 year old cat with flystrike yesterday, so it was in the front of my mind.
Hope the vet can help today.

Foofoo was at the vets this evening, the vet thinks its cystitis and that her tummy problem isn't related. She's on a 7 day course of septrin, metacam and bio-lapis to see if that helps. If there isn't any improvement over the week end or things get worse I've to take her back for bloods to be taken.

Thankfully today her tummy feels fine and it doesn't look like she's urinated on herself again, just keeping a close watch on her as she's very quiet at the moment.

Has she been spayed?

Don't want to worry you but we had a bun that was not spayed (we knew no better at the time) and she had bladder infection and about 6 months later she had cancer. She had emergency spay and we thought everything was caught but unfortunately it was not.

I don't know if the two were ever related but it always plays on my mind that they could have been linked.

I hope she is OK.

Has she been spayed?

Don't want to worry you but we had a bun that was not spayed (we knew no better at the time) and she had bladder infection and about 6 months later she had cancer. She had emergency spay and we thought everything was caught but unfortunately it was not.

I don't know if the two were ever related but it always plays on my mind that they could have been linked.

I hope she is OK.

Thank you. We think she is spayed, sorry that may sound a bit odd but when we got her from the rescue her previous owner told the lady that runs the rescue that she was spayed.

I've always worried that maybe she hasn't been spayed and I'm worried to have her put under GA as she has problems with her breathing. I'm going to take her back to the vet in case something else is going on :(

Thank you. We think she is spayed, sorry that may sound a bit odd but when we got her from the rescue her previous owner told the lady that runs the rescue that she was spayed.

I've always worried that maybe she hasn't been spayed and I'm worried to have her put under GA as she has problems with her breathing. I'm going to take her back to the vet in case something else is going on :(

We found our bunny so were never sure if she had been spayed and had the same reservations as yourself and she was very nervous bun. To have a GA when they may already have been done - difficult decision.

Hopefully in your case she will have been spayed if that is what the previous owner said.

Hope she is doing OK.

Back