• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really worried about Lionel

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
I am so worried about him, i have a horrible feeling we might loose him.

After the trip to the emergency vets on the bank holiday monday for mouth breathing he hasn't been right since.
He had his teeth done as he wasn't eating much and had x rays which didn't show anything but his breathing is terrible he shakes really badly when he breathes he is also not eating much and is mouth breathing a lot, he has also lost weight again when his teeth were ok he was up to 900g just befroe his dental 2 weeks ago he was 790g and when i weighed him last night he was only 740g he is wasting away.
Hes not eating much as he can't seem to eat and breath at the same time.

My vet has no idea what is wrong with him :cry: we are going to start a 10 day course of baytril tonight to see if that helps in any way :?

Also i changed his hay as i thought it might be a dusty batch or something but there is no improvement there either.

I don't know what else to do :cry: any ideas from anyone? xxx

Katie could it be asthma

Is there any way he has inhaled alot of dust from the building and decorating work ?

I really would suggest you discuss with Christobel giving Lionel a shot of Dexamethasone (steroid) aswell as abx cover.

Remember the vid of Felicity's breathing? Well she had a really bad time and like Lionel she lost weight, had very fast respiratory rate and episodes of mouth breathing. At one point we nearly lost her and she spent the day in an oxygen tent. Since then she has had a 14 day course of abx plus 3 shots of Dexamethasone, one shot every 10-14 days.
Her breathing is now 100% NORMAL and she has regained weight and condition.
I am as sure as I can be that it was an allergic ashma.

Sending vibes for little Lionel

Katie could it be asthma

Is there any way he has inhaled alot of dust from the building and decorating work ?

I really would suggest you discuss with Christobel giving Lionel a shot of Dexamethasone (steroid) aswell as abx cover.

Remember the vid of Felicity's breathing? Well she had a really bad time and like Lionel she lost weight, had very fast respiratory rate and episodes of mouth breathing. At one point we nearly lost her and she spent the day in an oxygen tent. Since then she has had a 14 day course of abx plus 3 shots of Dexamethasone, one shot every 10-14 days.
Her breathing is now 100% NORMAL and she has regained weight and condition.
I am as sure as I can be that it was an allergic ashma.

Sending vibes for little Lionel

Hi Jane

Him and Lolly are still at my mums so there is no way its dust from the decorating works, i have intentionally left him at my mums until all the mess and dust has gone as i fear it could make him worse :cry:

I asked about the steroid last time i went but she didn't want to give it to him as the effects are unknown, i will mention it again tonight when i pick Honey up from her spay.

Thanks for all your help xx

Awww, poor Lionel, he really has a lot to go through, and you, too. I can't offer any more advice, but am sending lots of vibes. :(

Back