• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urinary problems

funnyface1

Young Bun
Hi, not sure if anybody can help but my rabbit has had urinary infections on and off for over a year now. She had an ultrasound Aug last year and an xray but there was no sludge or stones. She has another infection now and I have more baytril to give but I dont think it is working, I cant believe the vets just give me baytril and thats all they can do.

I dont know if anybody else has had similar experiences but I really dont know what to do, she just does a little dribble of urine. Im always bathing her and keeping fur short clean etc etc. I have tried vit c tablets and cranberry powder in water but she doesnt drink a lot of water. The only thing that will make her drink is a little bit of pure juice with the water, but I dont want to give this too often because she is on a diet. Was 3.7!! (because I didnt notice my other bun's appetiete had decreased and she was eating extra portions!!) and now 3.4 I will get her back to a healthy 2.8-3.0. Do you think this could be related.

One of my bridge bunnies had cystitis more and more frequently, all the medication we tried stopped working eventually. In a last ditch attempt, my vet suggested to use vitamin C tablets for him (you can get them from Oxbow, my bunny loved them as they tasted of apple) and bingo, the problem never returned. So it might be worth trying that.

Vera

One of my bridge bunnies had cystitis more and more frequently, all the medication we tried stopped working eventually. In a last ditch attempt, my vet suggested to use vitamin C tablets for him (you can get them from Oxbow, my bunny loved them as they tasted of apple) and bingo, the problem never returned. So it might be worth trying that.

Vera

She said in her first post she had tried vit c tablets to no avail.

I will give the apple tasting ones a try you never know, I will try anything.

Symptoms are that she is just dribbling when going for a wee. She doesnt drink much, but she never has done anyway and I wonder if this could be part of the problem. She doesnt wee like my other bun where it is loads, hers is literally a dribble, I will keep on with the baytril for a week and try again with the tablets. I just wondered if anybody had similar problems. Maybe I should take her back for a scan. There is no sludge or chalkly stuff and is slightly smelly so believe it is just a urinary infection. I know I could get a sample tested but have been told the bacteria usually dies quite quickly.

Is she on any pain relief?

She may only be 'spotting'/dribbling as passing lots of wee hurts. If you have ever had cystitis you'll know what I mean, its like weeing razorblades :shock:

What about trying fluid therapy (subcutaneous) in conjunction with abx and analgesia

Has she had a full blood profile taken ?

I know it must be so painful. She is on 3 drops of metacam with her breakfast.

What is fluid therapy (subcutaneous) in conjunction with abx?

She had bloods done last year Aug also had Ecun test. I believe liver and kidney functions are fine. I could get her tested but all symptoms point to cystitis

Sorry, read that she tried vitamin C in water and the bunny wasn't drinking enough to be effective... but you're probably right. Thanks for pointing it out.

Vera

No, I'm sorry, I realise now my post sounded a bit rude:oops:.

Perhaps she did mean in the water. Anyway she says she's going to try your apple flavour ones I believe.:)

Back