• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning - time and tips?

huppie

Mama Doe
Hi all

I was wondering how long you spend cleaning your bun's living area and whether you have any tips for cutting it down?

I have a bonded pair with 24/7 free-range access to an 8sqm covered balcony and I spend about 3 hours a week cleaning:
- 5-10 mins a day on the loo
- 1hr a week on the hutch
- Too long sweeping hay and fur from the soft furnishings (Rambi is susceptible to sore-hocks so the place is covered in baby matresses and fleeces)
- Some time cleaning out their hay boxes (they have three so probably my fault there:lol:)

Plus:
- Some time on the (very) occasional misplaced pee :roll:
- Time washing the soft furnishings (in the launderette - I'm not destroying my machine:lol:)

Discovering vinegar for the loo was a godsend but other than that I'm stuck!

What about you?

Emma

sounds about right :) House bunnies = lots of work! I have 4 and probably spend about 1.5 hours a week cleaning littertrays. 15 minutes a day sweeping up after them and half an hour a week mopping the floor of the room that they are in. The only way to stop you having to clean soft furnishings is to keep them in a room that doesn't have them or groom your bunny twice a day for about half an hour each time :lol::lol: unfortunately hay gets everywhere and there's not a lot can be done about that :lol:

15 minutes a day on two litter trays, hoovering once or twice a week 1/2 hour. Cleaning and washing, while doing this I soak the bowls and bottles in some milton, one 48inch dog crate 1 hour.

I couldn't cope with house bunnies either! At the moment I dont spend that long cleaning them out to be honest. I have two bunnies that have the run of the garden so they are never really in the hutch so that doesn't get that dirty! I have a single bun that has a hutch/run combo and again he prefers to be out in the run rather that the hutch. I move this around the garden and clean the poo of the grass every few days. I have another single bun's who is hutch bound at the mo as she is recovering from her spay. I clean her out every day.

Shortly, all four will be living together in a shed and all 4 will have free run of the garden ... I can't wait for that :D

Charlie's quite good, doesn't take me long to clean his litter tray and he's stopped doing random wees everywhere :)
I only put the hay on the top level of his hutch too, so less gets scattered around on the floor when hes jumping in and out

Mine are in sheds and take about 20 mins to clean the lot.:D

I have a spare set of litter trays so there is always a clean set made up and ready to go, so even if it is pouring with rain I can get in the sheds, sweep up and change litter trays etc in no time at all.
I save time by having a set of dust pans and brooms in each shed, along with a fresh supply of hay for topping up trays etc.

Don't think I could manage with house buns tbh - its enough work with the three dogs, the o/h and daughter:lol:

I have 2 free range house buns. Spend 15 minutes, twice a day changing their litter tray/hay box and sweeping up hay. Probably vacuum twice a week but the stray hay is generally confined to their room/the kitchen

When Ronnie and Lola were housebuns is spent about 2 hours every night cleaning up after them :? I was constantly sweeping hay up or tidying up after them :?

Since being down the shed, it takes me about 20 mins every morning for litter trays and hay racks filled, water changed and feeding. Then i go back down around 4-5pm to sweep the shed. Then i go around 8-9pm to sweep the shed, give them their supper and shut them up for the night :)

It takes about 45 mins every morning in total to do 8 buns :) Then of a weekend we do a full clean of the shed and every hutch which takes around 3 odd hours :)

xXx

for rabbit hutches I find using a hand-held small window scraper is brilliant for getting all the dirt out from the edges and corners, and I have lino down in the hutches which makes them so much easier to clean.

only takes about 10 mins to hoover upstairs, once or twice a week

litter trays take about 2 mins to fill with water and leave to soak, quick rinse leave over night till dry (im lazy)

thats it for cleaning in this house as i dont have a hutch and the base of the open plan cage is carpet.. :D

chippie cage on the other hand made from wood takes a few hours to get cleaned :(

Clean litter tray every night-5mins
quick clean of cage on a monday-10mins
big clean of cage,wire top,dog basket,toys,tunnel,carrier on a thursday-90mins
hoover everyday-20mins
mop their floor twice a week-10mins
To be honest this has been my routine for the last 16 years so its second nature now.:)

Back