• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pregnancy?

Zara Elsom

New Kit
Hi,
i have a 3 rabbits and a male guinea pig in one large hutch outside.
I've had my guinea pig for about a year and got one female rabbit about 4 months ago. I have been given two other rabbits and i have had them for about 1 month.

I have just found out that one is male and all 3 of them have been mating. I think one of the females i pregnant, she is being agressive and making weird noises when i go to pick her up. She also has tites.

If anyone could answer any or all of these questions that would be great

Do you think she is pregnant? if so how many weeks do you think she is?
Should i take the male rabbit out? Shall i take my guinea pig out? do i need to get her a box for her to put her litter in? is there anything else i need to know?

any answers would be great:)

You need to separate the males and female straight away. If there are any more females they will most likely be pregnant too. I would separate all 3 and get the male neutered.

The guinea pig also needs to come out, as it can be dangerous to keep bunnies and piggies together, someone will probably tell you why shortly.

Not sure about the pregnancy stuff, but definitely do the above straight away.

Yes she is probably pregnant and possibly the other two rabbits as well if they are not neutered. Definitely take the guinea pig and male rabbit out. Guinea pigs shouldn't live with rabbits. I would take the whole lot to the vets to have the sexes confirmed.

hello !
i think you need to remove the g/pig 1st he shouldnt be housed with rabbits at all.
.2nd you need to remove the male.
it is most likely both the females are pregnant and you should house them seperatly too.
rabbits are pregnant for 32-34 days.
if you are wanting to keep all the rabbits together may be a good idea to get them spayed/neutered.
good luck and keep us posted
dee xx

Male- out- quickly!!!

If you dont you will find you have 3 pregnant females and as soon as one has given birth they will become pregnant again.

It takes about 3 weeks from getting pregnant to giving birth. You could really do with splitting all the females too so you know who's babies are who's.

Thanks a lot for answering
If both of them are pregnant, there might be loads of babies:?

Yes there will be lots of babies... that is why it is important when you get rabbits to sex them, or have someone else do it for you.

Three rabbits and a guinea pig is also a lot to have in one hutch!

You should ideally split them all up, as if you have more than one female pregnant it is going to get complicated.

You really shouldn't be keeping so many unneutered rabbits together, you are asking for trouble, not just in terms of mating but also aggression that may stem for having three hormonal rabbits.

I would seperate them and have them checked by the vet to determine sex. They should really be neutered if you want to keep them together and ideally bonded properly before being shut in a hutch together.

If you have babies arriving you will need to give the does plenty of hay, fresh food and water. They will eat a lot more than usual so be prepared to supply lots of extra high calorie food. Burgess excel junior is good for lactating does, and you can feed ad lib as they will need lots of extra calories. If they are used to greens and veg make sure you give them plenty as it will help with milk production.

Ok, i have given the male rabbit away, Bought a big run& hutch for one of the females, and got a small hutch for the guinea pig.
They are all seperated. Is there any signs to be looking out for,to see if there pregnant?
One of the females keeps trying to eat my clothing and pillows, ect, is that a sign?

about 1 week ago, but one of the females has been wth the male since they were born. I haven't seen any fur pulling, just them chewing and scratching at my clothes. I've also seen one of the bunnies digging. One of the females has large tites, they wern't like that before.

why guinea pigs should not be housed with rabbits

Guinea pigs should never be housed with rabbits for two main reasons. Firstly their nutritional requirements differ as guinea pigs like man cannot manufacture their own vitamin C therefore they MUST have foods rich in vitamin C on a DAILY basis to keep them healthy and secondly rabbits have very powerfull back legs which frequently cause serious injuries to guinea pigs which often go unnoticed and unseen by their owners.

Back