• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why is my bunny pooping so much?!

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I have 15 years of owning rabbits and I've just got a new baby rabbit who is 10 weeks old and I have never seen a rabbit poo so much each day. After two days of getting him in a new, clean hutch, I had to clean the whole thing out as there was poo everywhere I'm going through hay and bedding like nobody's business and when I put him in the house to run around for a couple of hours (he's a very good bunny, he only wees and poos on the newspaper I lay out) there are about 100 pellets after two hours. Surely this is a ridiculous amount?

Thanks for reading!

EErrrr no, loads of poos is not ridiculous, it's exactly what should be happening when a bunny is happy and healthy.

I would be complaining if it was the other way around.

Loads of poos (so long as they are big and dry and round) are what you should be wanting and if the bunny has been cared for by it's previous home really well, that will account for the amount of poo. Loads of poo = loads of fibre.

It's amazing the amount of poop a small bunny can produce! Does he mainly use a specific corner of the hutch? You can put a litter tray in it and that helps reduce cleaning.

New rabbits tend spread out poop more as part of marking their new territory as home.

It also gets worse in hormonal teenage rabbits and neutering helps.

The above is about reducing spread rather than quantity ;)

That's a good idea about the litter tray. The problem is that he poos where he sleeps, so if I put a litter tray into the sleeping area, he would sleep in the litter tray (as it would take up the whole of the area!)

He actually keeps his poos together in one place and he doesn't spread them out very much at all. I assume that's a good sign?!

My buns sleep in their litter trays too but thats easy to empty everyday or even twice a day to keep it nice and clean. They each actually have 3 large trays lined with newspaper and topped with hay and the rest of the floor is just lino covered, the little boy only poops and wees in one but the little girl in 2 of them.

it's a sign of health particularly if he eats plenty of hay, when eating they poo it's absolutely normal, when they are young and run about they poo, this is also normal... if the poo is round, firm, dry and rich with fibre

Back