• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bacterial infection to the nose

sa28

Young Bun
my bunny is 10weeks i got him last week from pets at home but he his now poorly he as discharge from the nose which is bacterial i have been given medcine for him but should a rabbit become ill within a week? should i go and keep up fuss with pets at home thanks

Sorry to hear your new bunny is unwell. How do you know the discharge is bacterial? Has the rabbit seen a vet? I would definitely complain to Pets@home if it was my rabbit. What medicine is you bunny on?

One of my bunnies currently has pneumonia, the only sympton she had of this in the beginning was discharge from her nose. We only found out what was wrong with her after X-rays and her snot being sent away to the lab.

Let us know how you get on with your bun? :wave:

he went to vets yesturday for injections and vet told me he was unwell but he cant stop sneezing and he his on baytril thanks

Sounds like your bun may have snuffles (Pasturella).

I would certainly put pets@home in the picture and keep vets receipts as they may well pay them for you.

What has your vet said? How long has he been poorly? Is he having Baytril injections? How often?

Is he eating and drinking and pooing normally?

Ask the Vet if its Pasturella. Do a search on hear and look it up.

As your bunny is very young he is vulnerable, to lots of thing, you need to keep a very close eye on him, keep the vet updated and if you are not seeing improvement or see any deterioration get him back to the vet asap. Young buns can go downhill very quickly.

Does your pets@home have a companion care vet - if so you need to speak to a manager at the store and book a vet appointment. They should cover the cost of the vet care.

Unfortunately P@H have a bit of a rep for snuffle buns.

I have found adding enchinea to drinking water effective at boosting the immune system in supressed buns. Also have found they seem to do better indoors where they are not exposed to such drastic variations in temp.

Last edited:
Unfortunately P@H have a bit of a rep for snuffle buns.

There is also a lot of problems w/ breeder's rabbits. That's a sign of a lack of genetic diversification.

=================

is the bunny adopted or a purchase breeder's rabbit from P@H?

Back