• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimise stress during a car journey

Chrisoldinho

Young Bun
Hi,

I actually posted this as part of another thread but I thought it was a worthwhile thread in itself...

Any ideas on how you can minimise stress during a car journey, we are picking up Bobbie this weekend and the journey will take an hour, mainly on the motorway.

Thanks, Chris.

Comfy blanket and a litter tray full of hay.
make sure you have water in there too (although in a bottle lol)
If it's a long journey I would stop for a break about 1/2 way. Just for fresh air really.

yeah i had to do an hours drive with ralph, i just made sure he had fresh water and made a nice bed of hay in the carrier, keep the car cool and easy round the corners. think thats all you can really do.

Thanks all, Bobbie doesn't use a Water Bottle according to his Foster parent(don't know if he ever has?) and isn't that fussy for Hay but he loves Grass so I might subsitute one for the other :D

Keeping the car cool and giving him some veg sounds like a good idea however, thanks!

Bach five flower rescue remedy is good before a long car trip! Vet recommended it so I just put a drop or two on a raisin for my buns:) I also take some fresh herbs in a bag and give the buns some freshly washed and wet leaves/herbs just before we set off so i'm happy they are well hydrated and have nice full tummies:) In my experience my buns won't eat once we're in the car, but as soon as we reach destination or stop for break they tuck in, just need encouragement and a fresh handful of grass is a good one to get them munching the other end:)

Wierd and wacky I know, but I really think it helps - I play then classical music! Classic FM is usually the best as it's quite tranquil.

We cover Biscuit's travel box with a towel so that is it nice and dark in there (obviously with ventilation still). We also find she doesn't eat anything during the journey but will munch on fresh herbs / plantain (is her all time fav at the moment) as soon as the car has stopped.

Back