• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gerbil Bonding - Two mature ladies

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
We recently got two older females into the rehome (Venus and Neptune). Both are a few months shy of 3 years old. They used to be together with 2 other females (a foursome) when they were younger but they fought and the owners separated them all.
This is much more common in females than males and does happen fairly often.
With them being older (and hopefully wiser :lol: ) i thought i may as well try and bond them as we do that with singles that come in.
A few days later and here is the result. I love doing it with ones that have been alone for ages (for them around 2 years) as it makes you feel good that at last they have company :)

In the split cage
DSC03858Small.jpg

DSC03861Small.jpg

Split removed after a good few days swapping sides several times a day
DSC03894Small.jpg

DSC03889Small.jpg

DSC03898Small.jpg

Playtime on the couch
DSC03838Small.jpg

DSC03848Small.jpg

They were a bit more difficult than the average bonding but well worth it.

Incase i get accused of being cruel not giving them toys etc - in the bonding there shouldnt be anything like that - as it can be scentmarked and possibly ruin the bonding.

Awwww thats great that they are fine with each other:love:

They are gorgeous :love: I had 2 female gerbils over a year ago (both now passed to the bridgexx) and they were great together, and had such a great bond :love: I love seeing animals have a friend or two:love:

What pretty girls they are. Glad they have found friendship. We are thinking it would be nice to have Gerbils or Degu's after our present hamsters as its so nice to watch them interact together.

What pretty girls they are. Glad they have found friendship. We are thinking it would be nice to have Gerbils or Degu's after our present hamsters as its so nice to watch them interact together.

Well both are great pets to watch! I was going to say Degu's are much noisier but saying that having lots of gerbils digging together in the middle of the night can be fairly noisy!

:love::love::love: Pretty ladies, especially the one on the right (but don't tell the one on the left I said that. :oops::lol:) I'm hoping gerbil bonding is something I never need to do - is it as nerve wracking as bunny bonding?

Well both are great pets to watch! I was going to say Degu's are much noisier but saying that having lots of gerbils digging together in the middle of the night can be fairly noisy!

Yes I guess so. Our Mildred happens to have her cage in the lounge directly under our bedroom, in fact directly under our bed, and she chews on her water bottle and bumps around so much we often say we wouldn't know if we were being burgled or it was just Mildred! What with her and keeping one ear on the open window on "fox alert" not a lot of sleep is had at our house!

Yes I guess so. Our Mildred happens to have her cage in the lounge directly under our bedroom, in fact directly under our bed, and she chews on her water bottle and bumps around so much we often say we wouldn't know if we were being burgled or it was just Mildred! What with her and keeping one ear on the open window on "fox alert" not a lot of sleep is had at our house!

Awwwwwwwwwww :lol:

awww.. gerbils are so cute to watch together, the snuggle up and sleep together, play together, groom each other:love:
So you sat these girlies are oaps of the gerbil world, ive had gerbils for about 6 months, my first and from pand h adoption they were 7 months ish when i got them, i am wondering if they are old, how long do they usually live?

:love::love::love: Pretty ladies, especially the one on the right (but don't tell the one on the left I said that. :oops::lol:) I'm hoping gerbil bonding is something I never need to do - is it as nerve wracking as bunny bonding?

Yes and no Karen. If the gerbils dont get on they can be fairly lethal to each other but doing it the split way has a huge success rate and by the time the split is removed - each should have the same scent so therefore just see the other gerbil as part of their territory

awww.. gerbils are so cute to watch together, the snuggle up and sleep together, play together, groom each other:love:
So you sat these girlies are oaps of the gerbil world, ive had gerbils for about 6 months, my first and from pand h adoption they were 7 months ish when i got them, i am wondering if they are old, how long do they usually live?

Its just depends really. They live normally between 2 and 4 years. An average age would be around 3ish. They can live shorter/longer lives but just depends on the individual gerb :) I had two sisters die at only two years old - but now have 2 males who will be 4 in November. My others are in between :)

Back