• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some more happy horse piccies.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
FINALLY, we have a few photos to show just how lovely Cirrus is!
EllenHorses311.jpg

EllenHorses315.jpg

The golden one, Bumble.
EllenHorses398.jpg

EllenHorses355.jpg

And of course, my own gorgeous boy, Bournville.
EllenHorses319.jpg

EllenHorses320.jpg

EllenHorses323.jpg

Look at them racing about. I love it when they get that spurt of energy just to gallop about :love:

Horses are magnificent creatures aren't they?

Lovely photos, and what beautiful horses.

Yes, they are magnificent, although a bit scary when running at you. Bournville really puts eveything into a gallop, you can hear the ground rumble as he whips by.:)

All very beautiful.

Loving the flaxen mane Bumble and would love to give Bournvilles lovely belly a cuddle :lol: Cirrus, I suggest you stand in front of one of the others if it gets windy, you look so petite it might blow you over!

All very beautiful.

Loving the flaxen mane Bumble and would love to give Bournvilles lovely belly a cuddle :lol: Cirrus, I suggest you stand in front of one of the others if it gets windy, you look so petite it might blow you over!

Cirrus isn't really my type of horse, but she was a rescue. I like chunky ones, as no doubt you can tell. Saying that, she has turned into a lovely horse, although if she was rideable I think it would be quite exciting.:shock:

Bournville loves getting his belly scratched, when I try to do droppings he marches over and stands in front of the barrow until I scratch him.:lol:

Cirrus isn't really my type of horse, but she was a rescue. I like chunky ones, as no doubt you can tell. Saying that, she has turned into a lovely horse, although if she was rideable I think it would be quite exciting.:shock:

Bournville loves getting his belly scratched, when I try to do droppings he marches over and stands in front of the barrow until I scratch him.:lol:

Thats good news, please book me in for a tummy scratch with Bournville if I ever come to Scotland!

I love the chunkies too, but I love Arabs and Thoroughbreds aswell. I would have loved to of had an Arab and done some long distance riding but it wasn't to be. I used to ride a friends arab (14.2hh) he was lovely, a real schoolmaster, she used to ride him bareback without a bridle, (yes no headcollar, rope or anything) in the menage and he was great.

Thats good news, please book me in for a tummy scratch with Bournville if I ever come to Scotland!

I love the chunkies too, but I love Arabs and Thoroughbreds aswell. I would have loved to of had an Arab and done some long distance riding but it wasn't to be. I used to ride a friends arab (14.2hh) he was lovely, a real schoolmaster, she used to ride him bareback without a bridle, (yes no headcollar, rope or anything) in the menage and he was great.

Cirrus is 3/4 thoroughbred and 1/4 arab, her father was a racehorse ( she has Northern Dancer, a famous canadian racehorse, in her bloodlines).
She was bought at the age of 6 to do endurance riding, she was unbroken, so was moved, moved again for breaking and shod for the first time with no preparation, and then returned to her new yard, all within a few months. She developed behavioural problems and then got kicked in the field, was shod again, and only during the shoeing, was the vet asked to look at her (she had to be sedated to be shod). After x-rays it was discovered she had developed bone spavin.
As she would be no longer of use as a long distance horse the owner decided to PTS. I was asked by my blacksmith to see her and we took her home the next weekend.
She is quite a nervy horse, although Bournville has helped a lot, but I do wonder if some of it stems from her 'childhood' as according to her passport she was sold at 5 months, and horses shouldn't be weaned until at least 6 months old.:(

Well it sounds like Cirrus has fallen on her feet this time.

I had my horse when I was 17, he was a New Forest X only 14.3hh but quite stocky. He would have a go at anything, jump almost anything he was asked, did a nice dressage test and carried me safely out hunting jumping things I didn't even want to jump (only hunted once and only other animals we saw were sheep!). Sadly he had navicular disease, he underwent a (pioneering at the time) bilateral navicular suspensory desmotimy, which did the trick for a couple of years. After his working days were over he stayed with us in retirement living until he was 32 years old - seeing many things he and I never thought he would see, including sharing many happy times with the first 2 of my children and being included in things like being shown the new school uniform for starting school and a new millenium! I dreaded the day I would be parted from him but when that day came it was the only option and we said goodbye - it was like losing a brother. I know he will be waiting for me on the other side and I am sure he will have found my dad who always had mints in his pocket!

My daughter is almost 13 and rides so who knows maybe one day we'll get a chunky someone to share.

Well it sounds like Cirrus has fallen on her feet this time.

I had my horse when I was 17, he was a New Forest X only 14.3hh but quite stocky. He would have a go at anything, jump almost anything he was asked, did a nice dressage test and carried me safely out hunting jumping things I didn't even want to jump (only hunted once and only other animals we saw were sheep!). Sadly he had navicular disease, he underwent a (pioneering at the time) bilateral navicular suspensory desmotimy, which did the trick for a couple of years. After his working days were over he stayed with us in retirement living until he was 32 years old - seeing many things he and I never thought he would see, including sharing many happy times with the first 2 of my children and being included in things like being shown the new school uniform for starting school and a new millenium! I dreaded the day I would be parted from him but when that day came it was the only option and we said goodbye - it was like losing a brother. I know he will be waiting for me on the other side and I am sure he will have found my dad who always had mints in his pocket!

My daughter is almost 13 and rides so who knows maybe one day we'll get a chunky someone to share.

It seems to be quite hard to find chunky horses these days, although I think people are starting to see the benefits of having a good solid horse.
I can understand how you must feel about losing your horse, I well up if I even think about losing Bournville, I've had him since he was 3.5 and he is now 11.5, he is my first horse, and the apple of my eye. He's only 14.3 as well.:)

I think 14.3hh is great - not so far to fall!

I wish I had never stopped riding really but it wasn't possible financially at the time with 3 children, now I am sooooo heavy the kids joke I would need a horse with a steel backbone! I did lose weight (4 stone +) a couple of years ago and had a practice lesson at the local stables, (hadn't lost the nack) and went on a hack on holiday with my daughter. Unfortunatley I lose weight but it just has a habit of finding me again!

Of course my daughter loves it on the drive home after her lesson when I tell her the way she should have done it! I really should lose the weight again so I can show her how its done:lol: I'd love to go in her class lesson with her!

I think 14.3hh is great - not so far to fall!

I wish I had never stopped riding really but it wasn't possible financially at the time with 3 children, now I am sooooo heavy the kids joke I would need a horse with a steel backbone! I did lose weight (4 stone +) a couple of years ago and had a practice lesson at the local stables, (hadn't lost the nack) and went on a hack on holiday with my daughter. Unfortunatley I lose weight but it just has a habit of finding me again!

Of course my daughter loves it on the drive home after her lesson when I tell her the way she should have done it! I really should lose the weight again so I can show her how its done:lol: I'd love to go in her class lesson with her!

Why don't you ask if the school has a horse suitable for you, if you feel you want to lose weight, exercise is the best way to do it. Mike is 18 stone, and we did struggle to find a place to take him, most riding school are designed for kids it seems,but he ended up riding a big hunter and now has his own horse- Bumble.
GO FOR IT !!!!:)

Back