• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She always seems so frightened..help

amanda 2807

Warren Scout
Hi can any of you give me advice on my primrose we've had her just over 2 weeks shes about 11 months old and lives with her hubby crockett who 18 months just wondered how long it will take her to trust me she dosn't like you picking her up i have to corner her to check her bum she settles down once you have her against you but she looks so frightened she loves being out in the garden and have neven seen a bunny binky as high as she does so i'm hoping she his happy not got much about her back ground only that before the recue had her she lived in a 2foot by 2 foot hutch with no handerling and a very niosey house kids and dogs please if any one has any advice i would be so greatful i don't want to think she is unhappy :(

Oh poor bun it will take time for her to get used to you. Just spend time sitting near her reading so she gets used to you being around. Can you hand feed her? That will help with interaction with her

It will take a long time to gain trust, but in the end she will trust you more :)

I agree, you should try feeding her some treats from your hand, bribery always works :lol:

Hi Amanda,

Don't worry I know your new bunny Primrose seems unhappy but with a bunny companion and in a home where she is not being frightened or terrorised by dogs/children she is probably a lot happier than she has ever been:)
The problem is that emotional damage done early takes an awfully long time to overcome, it can take years, and it might never be that she fully trusts you but that doesn't mean you can't make any progress at all. The wonderful thing about nervous bunnies are that you learn to be grateful for the tiniest things that other buns will do with no trouble at all.

I know exactly what you are going through, our rescue girl was identical to this and would cower the minute you move towards her, she is terrified of people. We've had her nearly 2 years now and she is such a changed bunny, although she is still nervous at times so you have to just be really patient i'm afraid.
From our personal experience we have found that the best way to deal with this is to lower your expectations and you will be pleasantly suprised by the little improvements your bunny makes. It can be very frustrating I know, just remember that it is not anything necessarily that you are doing now, she just remembers negative associations from her life before and this is instinctive, she has learnt to behave in a certain way to protect herself, it is no reflection on the care you give her now, but certain things we have to do like pick them up daily, will of course reinforce their experiences. The difference is that she will learn nothing bad happens to her and eventually she will make new associations in her little rabbity brain, but it takes time.

Having a bunny companion should really help her so you've already done that for her. I can't tell you the number of times our bun's bonded companion has given her the confidence to try new things and explore new places, and even to trust us. She used to watch him bounce all over us begging for a treat and now she's the first to arrive! Initially we couldn't voluntarily touch her at all, then she began to let us touch her nose, and just a month ago her back for the first time in 2 years! A daily brush is another good bonding technique for you and her. You have to stick at it and be consistent and calm. I totally agree with the passive presence technique, just try and be around her as much as possible in a passive way, read a book on the floor for example. We find lying on the floor flat and just talking to our bun makes a huge difference.
We also found that nervousness is heightened when she is tired or just woken up.
Routine is essential for a nervous rabbit, they need to know what to expect and when, and this can help enormously with the trust issues. I know you have to pick her up daily for a health check, i would try and find the least stressful way to do this for her, we found our girl would feel happier being picked up from the litter tray, somewhere she feels safe. I'd avoid any chasing or activites that might put her into 'fight or flight' mode and use treats as a reward following any contact you have with her - healthy ones obviously, as a starting point. I hope that helps a little. Just be patient, she'll get there in her own time:)

Hi Amanda,

Don't worry I know your new bunny Primrose seems unhappy but with a bunny companion and in a home where she is not being frightened or terrorised by dogs/children she is probably a lot happier than she has ever been:)
The problem is that emotional damage done early takes an awfully long time to overcome, it can take years, and it might never be that she fully trusts you but that doesn't mean you can't make any progress at all. The wonderful thing about nervous bunnies are that you learn to be grateful for the tiniest things that other buns will do with no trouble at all.

I know exactly what you are going through, our rescue girl was identical to this and would cower the minute you move towards her, she is terrified of people. We've had her nearly 2 years now and she is such a changed bunny, although she is still nervous at times so you have to just be really patient i'm afraid.
From our personal experience we have found that the best way to deal with this is to lower your expectations and you will be pleasantly suprised by the little improvements your bunny makes. It can be very frustrating I know, just remember that it is not anything necessarily that you are doing now, she just remembers negative associations from her life before and this is instinctive, she has learnt to behave in a certain way to protect herself, it is no reflection on the care you give her now, but certain things we have to do like pick them up daily, will of course reinforce their experiences. The difference is that she will learn nothing bad happens to her and eventually she will make new associations in her little rabbity brain, but it takes time.

Having a bunny companion should really help her so you've already done that for her. I can't tell you the number of times our bun's bonded companion has given her the confidence to try new things and explore new places, and even to trust us. She used to watch him bounce all over us begging for a treat and now she's the first to arrive! Initially we couldn't voluntarily touch her at all, then she began to let us touch her nose, and just a month ago her back for the first time in 2 years! A daily brush is another good bonding technique for you and her. You have to stick at it and be consistent and calm. I totally agree with the passive presence technique, just try and be around her as much as possible in a passive way, read a book on the floor for example. We find lying on the floor flat and just talking to our bun makes a huge difference.
We also found that nervousness is heightened when she is tired or just woken up.
Routine is essential for a nervous rabbit, they need to know what to expect and when, and this can help enormously with the trust issues. I know you have to pick her up daily for a health check, i would try and find the least stressful way to do this for her, we found our girl would feel happier being picked up from the litter tray, somewhere she feels safe. I'd avoid any chasing or activites that might put her into 'fight or flight' mode and use treats as a reward following any contact you have with her - healthy ones obviously, as a starting point. I hope that helps a little. Just be patient, she'll get there in her own time:)

Thanks so much for your advice it's helped me alot i just didn't want to think she was unhappy i couldn't stand that

If she's binkying around the garden then she's most certainly a very happy bunny!! Funnily enough our nervous girl does the same and did so right from day one, she went nuts in the garden, I wonder if she had ever had so much space before?! She used to tire very quickly, unhealthy heart from lack of exercise, but now she is FULL of energy! :)

Back