• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shredding paper = boredom?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
is that right? Holly was spayed on Thursday (4th June) and has been in her hutch since then. Today when I was checking up on her she has shreded all the newspaper in the hutch! Am I right in thinking she is bored? If so, what more can I do for her as I was told to 'rest' her and keep her in her hutch for 14 days to recover from the op.

I have put some things in there (but there is limited space) like the hay crackers (made from toilet rolls) and a little ball but she is intent on shredding all the paper! (not that I mind but I hate thinking of her as being bored!)

Any ideas anyone please?

Boxes are much more satisfying to tear up than paper. Does she have any hay cookies? They take much more time to eat than just hay as you have to work at them. How's she doing now anyway? Sounds good that she's being active.

I guess as you say paper shredding isn't a big deal. 14 days hutch rest seems a long time. When Maisey was done we let her out daily for a run around in the kitchen, we just removed anything she could jump up on, after her 10 day check she was cleared to go back in to her 2 storey chicken coop.

She might be bored but then she may have just discovered how fun it is. Huppie can have all the toys in the world, her space can be re-arranged and she can have food but she'll still shred the paper :roll:

She does it maybe once or twice a month and it drives me potty - especially if she does it just after I have cleaned the hutch out...Sometimes she will shred the paper and drag it around. She is a 24/7 free-range bun and seems to only go in her hutch to shred paper, she certainly never sleeps in there! Waste of money... :lol:

Emma

Snowdrop does it as well. Even if we have them out free ranging she will hop back into her litter tray to shred some paper. Strawberry looks at her as if to say "are you nuts, theres a fridge to try and raid"!!!

I used to have a bun called Abbie (she was my baby) and every now and again she would shred the paper and drag it about. She had access to the run from the hutch and I would find half the paper in the run. Kept her happy

B X

Back