• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits dew claws

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
is there a specific reason rabbits have dew claws? understand why dogs and all have them. are they used in fighting? sorry bit of a silly question but just curious.

Will never had them-they dropped out & never grew back.B fell down some stairs a few months ago & it ripped out.Hers grow at a very strange angle.Dont know whether this is a common thing with frenchies cos Dill,who is not a french lop,doesn't seem to have a problem with his.

I'd always thought that it was just that 1 digit - thumb or big toe - was set further back, & grew a claw like the others. Thumps bit his off at one stage but thanks, I've just seen they need trimming! Front 1's would help grooming I s'pose.

That's a really interesting question!

That said, I have no clue what the real answer is. :lol:

From what I've read, the dew claw can help dogs grip things, so maybe it helps rabbits as well. Also, there are theories that the dew claw on dogs touches the ground when they run, giving better traction. Once again, not sure about rabbits.

But those are my two theories! Gripping and traction.

Back