• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know what to do - Pan

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
As some of you may know Pan had surgery a few months ago because of a sudden weakness in her hind legs. During surgery they found a couple of things but nothing to explain the weakness. She had bloods taken and everything was normal so the conclusion has been nerve damage. She has been ok for a while, has good days and bad days, but she has always been bright and alert and still running away from me when I go to check her. In this last two weeks she has been dragging her hind legs more and more, when you see her sat now she has them both splayed out to the right hand side, almost as if she is sitting on her hip, she isn't as hungry as usual and isn't cleaning herself as well (still cleaning though) She does still try to move away from me but she isn't fast enough now so it's very easy for me to pick her up and check her over. She is in a 6ft x 4ft run inside the shed with a lino base and plenty of shavings, oh and of course Arthur. She is still weeing and pooing in one corner, she stopped using her litter tray a while ago as she can't get into it anymore so uses a corner instead. Pan is 6 and she has started to loose weight, her back end has been thin for a while and I put this down to lack of use, but she has started to go skinny round her ribs. After all the scans and surgery Pan had earlier in the year there isn't anything further my vets can or would do (Hazel wouldn't put any bunny never mind a 6 year old bunny, through anything unnecessary).
I know no one on here can tell me to PTS as that ultimately is my decision. I just don't know what else we could do to make her more comfortable? heat pads are useless as she is still active enough to move away from them, she gets plenty of veg and metacam every other day (I’m trying not to give her too much) the lino flooring she has is cushioned so is very soft. anyone have any ideas?

You will do whats right by Pan you have always done what is right for all your animals and Pan is no exception. I know it is a tough decision you have to make but you and I always think along the same lines on these sort of issues and decisions:(;).

Thanks Kay, i know Pan hasn't long left but i don't want to give up on her too soon, she will never recover from this illness but i want to make sure that she doesn't suffer whilst i still have her. My other worry then is what do i do for Arthur, with him being half wild he is very nervy and is not a good group bunny, i much prefers to have a single girly partner, first he had Iris and now Pan, both have been older quieter ladies and he has been happy with that, i dont' know what he will do when Pan isn't here.

I'm so sorry Pan has deteriorated slightly. I know you are doing everything possible for her and will make the right decision when the time is right for her.

Thinking of you

You will know when it is time as you always do. Ask Hazel what she thinks as you know she is totally honest with you:?

Poor Pan:( Really sorry that you are in this situation. I do believe that you know your rabbit and you will know what to do when and if the time is right.

You will know when it is time as you always do. Ask Hazel what she thinks as you know she is totally honest with you:?

I already know what Hazel thinks, she will leave it to me, she knows i wont go too far with a bun

It's so hard to draw the line between calling it a day too early and leaving it until the suffering becomes too obvious....you have my utmost sympathy. :(

Nose Rubs to Pan. x

Thanks Sooz, i think i am finding this one particulary hard as i have had Pan from being 6months old, she has been in my life for 6 years. We have never had a close bond but she has still been here through everything. She survived VHD, Grass Sickness and all sorts of other bugs we have had go around the buns. But this is the thing that will stop her. she is a hardy wee bunny and never lets anything bother her, you can see in her eyes that she's not fussed, but there are days now when you can see that she IS bothered, you can see she is quite scared that she can't hop, and then it will go away, as quick as it came. I guess it's just a matter of how much longer i think she can go for.

Why not try a shot of steroids. Although generally a no-no for Rabbits due to their immunosupressive effects if you are actually considering PTS then IMO what is there to loose by giving steroids a go.
They bought Sarah-Rabbit an extra 11 months of good quality life.

Failing that why not give the maximum dose of Metacam daily. I find that in situations such as Pan's the 'longterm side-effects' of medication is irrelevant and so my Vet will agree to a different prescribing regime than might otherwise be considered.

Sending vibes for Pan

xx

Why not try a shot of steroids. Although generally a no-no for Rabbits due to their immunosupressive effects if you are actually considering PTS then IMO what is there to loose by giving steroids a go.
They bought Sarah-Rabbit an extra 11 months of good quality life.

Failing that why not give the maximum dose of Metacam daily. I find that in situations such as Pan's the 'longterm side-effects' of medication is irrelevant and so my Vet will agree to a different prescribing regime than might otherwise be considered.

Sending vibes for Pan

xx

Thanks Jane, i hadn't even thought about steroids, i am not thinking of letting Pan go yet as she is still with me, if you know what i mean, i just want to try to make her as comfortable as i can until the end. I will increase her metacam and have a chat with Hazel next week about steroids.

Back