• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would rabbits 'swap' partners?

happypreso

Alpha Buck
This is my current situtation. I have one pair of rabbits, male & female, been together from the start (brother & sister) and although they have been seperated at various times, due to op's and babies, they are now back together and quite happy (the rebonding was no problem, it was like they were never apart).

I also have two single bun's - one male, one female - that used to live together but were seperated about 15/16 wks and both have just been netuered.

Now Star (the bonded female) shows a great deal of interest in Angel (the recently neutered male) and Bugs (the bonded male) is showing interest in Holly (the recently spayed female).

Now all 4 have always been able to see/hear/touch (through bars) each other so are no strangers so to speak. My plan is to bond all 4 together when Holly & Angel are recovered from their ops.

I was just 'musing' really as to if/when they are all living together if they would 'swap' partners so to speak? or does a rabbit have a partner for life (like swans, isn't it?).

Like I say no real point to the point, was just wondering x

I think it's worth trying. Mine do swap around a bit - there's a sub-group of five and the two male/female pairings that seemed to be in place do shift around a bit...as long as all is closely supervised and done safely..may be worth trying...

Hi, I didn't want to swap them over, ideally I want all 4 to live in the shed that hubby has been adapting!! I was just wondering if there was a chance that they would naturally swapp partners as Bugs & Star have been together for about a year now and love each other very much (they are alway close together and grooming each other) but since the other two have been neutered, last week, Bugs & Star just seems to have taken more of an interest with them ..... hence me wondering. Like I say I dont really want two pairs, I would like all four bonded and living in the shed.

Last edited:
Sounds like they'd bond really well as a four...fingers crossed for trouble-free bonding..

Our four all live together and their original pairs were Spice+Ozzy, Joe+Elsa.

They still love each other as much as before but Ozzy+Elsa have built a strong bond now too and Joe is winning Ozzy over with his persistance. Just need Spice to brave it out and force the other buns to groom her haha. Currently Ozzy is the king of the bunch but the other 3 all line up while he grooms them all in a row hehe :lol::lol: Poor guy doesn't get much returned grooming though lol :roll::lol:

Back