• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would it be a good idea to get another one?

Ed68

New Kit
We adopted a Rabbit and Guinea Pig over 3 and a half years ago. As they seemed such good friends and R-fur (the rabbit was so placid) we didn't want to part them.

Unfortunatley A.L.F. died about 18 months ago, just before we moved home. R-fur has been on his own (apart from us obviously) since then and still seems to be very happy - since we've moved he has the run of three rooms as opposed to a single room.

We've recently had some dogs around and he seems to have really appreciated some animal company. They were 'secured' whilst he was roaming but he came up to 'sniff' them and was binky-ing around them - not at all scared as I expected he would be.

It's made us think that he may appreciate having a playmate but not sure if he'd appreciate a friend being around all the time and sharing his hutch.

What are your thoughts on whether we could and indeed should try introducing a young 'un (he's about 5 but we're not sure as he was adopted). If you think it is a good idea then is it possible to do any 'bond or return' kind of deals with pet shops/adoption agencies as we don't want to have to keep two of them apart.

We just want to make sure he's happy and if a little buddy would do that then we're keen to try.

Sorry can't read the last part of the post (because I'm in a rush to leave) all I know is bunnies and guineas should never be kept together no matter what you've been told- get him a girl have her neutered (and him if he's not already) and find some bonding tips on here (preferably a rescue bunny theres loads looking for homes)!:wave:

:wave:

He should definitely have a playmate - buns much prefer to have the company of another bun, he will love you for it :) When introduced properly, preferably by someone who knows what they are doing, if the bunnies get along they will 'bond' which means they want to be together all the time, so you won't need to worry about him not wanting to share his hutch :)

I'd recommend you get one from a rescue, not a pet shop. Rescue buns are usually neutered/speyed and vaccinated, plus they will usually be a bit older, so any health problems are already known, and the rescue will usually know a bit about their personality, if you know what kind of bunny you're looking for. Plus, at a rescue you could get a bun around the same age as R-fur :)

Plus, and this is the key factor for you - a lot of rescues will bond your bunny for you :) So you would pick a suitable bunny, then take your bunny along to stay at the rescue for a bit, and the rescue would try bonding your bunny with the bunny of your choice. If it doesn't work out they can a) try your bun with another bun, or b) you can just take your bunny home. So no issue of finding a home for the second bunny if it doesn't get on with yours.

Also, there's over 33,000 bunnies in rescues, so it's much better to adopt a needy bun than line a petshop's pockets :)

Welcome to RU :)

Hi Lib,

Thanks for the response.

Good to know that rabs don't mind sharing. We were just a little concerned that he's become set in his ways - he owns everything around here or at least has claimed ownership by chinning it!

The bonding is an issue for us so for someone to assist (at an adoption place) that would be great - in addition to the fact that we would be helping another homeless one.

There are just a couple of other concerns we have:

1) He really doesn't like travelling in a car (even when I drive particularly carefully) and is almost shaking with big wide eyes when he gets to the vets. I'm not sure that would be the best time for him to meet a potential partner.

2) He hasn't been nutuered and we think he's too old now - at a guess about 5. Is this necessary - he's never shown any of the aggressive or possesive aspects I've read about for rabs that haven't been done.

3) We'd much prefer to adopt a young 'un (for various reasons) - would this be suitable for our grumpy old man.

(He's presently got no idea of what may be coming - he's snoring away on the rug lay totally flat out - front legs stretched forward and back legs stretched right out as well).

1) He really doesn't like travelling in a car (even when I drive particularly carefully) and is almost shaking with big wide eyes when he gets to the vets. I'm not sure that would be the best time for him to meet a potential partner.

He may take comfort from the fact that there is another bun there to accompany him on such journeys

2) He hasn't been nutuered and we think he's too old now - at a guess about 5. Is this necessary - he's never shown any of the aggressive or possesive aspects I've read about for rabs that haven't been done.

5 is not old for a neuter to be done providing he is healthy. He's only middle aged at most as you can expect a healthy bun to live 10 years, easily. It is likely he will show these traits when introduced to another bun if not neutered. Rescues would insist on neutering anyway.

3) We'd much prefer to adopt a young 'un (for various reasons) - would this be suitable for our grumpy old man..

Depends, I have a 16 month old and a 7 year old bun who get on like a house on fire so it just depend on whether they like each other or not.

Thanks Rhian,

It's all good information that will help us decide - the likelihood is that we'll take him to an adoption agency and see if any are suitable for him.

Can anyone recommend anywhere around Northwich? If not then don't worry because I know how to use google!

Back