• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Losing Weight

Piggiesgalore

Mama Doe
Evening everyone, after some advice regarding a bunny I currently have staying with me.

Said bunny is a much loved medium size lop, almost two years of age, fully vaccinated, fed meusli mix, good quality hay and veggies daily. He spends his daytime outside in a run, next to his guinea pig buddy (in a separate run) and has his own hutch for night time in a shed.

When he last came to me a few months ago he was the picture of health and looked in his prime. When I took him out of his carrier this time I was shocked as he has lost a considerable amount of weight - his head looks too big for his body.:(. He has recently had his Myxi booster and the vet apparently commented that he seemed much lighter, but from what I can gather didn't suggest following this up.

He is eating his mix and most of his veggies, he is not a huge hay eater, but just doesn't look particularly full of the joys of spring. If he was mine I would take him to a competent vet bunny for a full MOT - apart from teeth, what else should a vet check him for?

I'd start with getting his teeth checked.
Given that he is a poor hay eater I suspect that will be the problem.

There are numerous causes for weightloss-eg EC, Chronic Pasteurellosis, Renal problems............... but its best to rule out the obvious first before going down the blood tests etc route.

Back