• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Never go in a spanish pet shop!

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Hi
Ive been in Madrid this week on a work trip and justhappened to fit in a trip to the local mall and there was a pet shop. Couldnt resist a look and was shocked to see they actually had teeny tiny puppies in there guess were not used to seeing that in england but the worst thing was at the back of the shop they had two glass tanks less than 2ft by 2ft and only a foot high each with two beutiful baby buns in:evil: I couldnt believe my eye they were similar to what you normal see hamsters in in this country :evil:I did mention it to the shop owner but I dont think she understood english she just sort of grinned and smiled at me and my friend dragged me out before I lost it!!!!

yep same in carrefourre in alicante..shocking isnt it !!
the spannish are not realy lovers of pets if they have dogs they tend to live outside.

It's the same in HK. I was in floods of tears. J had to take me away. It was the puppies that broke my heart the most though. In tiny glass takes and it was so hot. :cry:

Hum.. hum.... I don't think that you could actually say "never go in a spanish pet shop" or "the spanish are not really lovers of pets". There are a lot of brilliant pet shops but obviously it depends on which pet shop you visit and there are lots of Spanish people who love animals.
Rabbits are becoming a pet in the last few years (I have visited almost every single pet shop I have passed by and I've only seen rabbits in the last two years) If I am honest I should admit that British people tends be more careful about animal care but even having more information and organizations which look after animals I don't see that big big difference on the real life. (When I read the RSPCA reports I could think about British people not being animal lovers so I think it's better not to generalize)

yep same in carrefourre in alicante..shocking isnt it !!
the spannish are not realy lovers of pets if they have dogs they tend to live outside.
Yes i have been in there and was so upset:cry::cry:
They had lots of puppies,kittens and bunnies all in tiny glass tanks.I wanted to bring them all home.

They were selling puppies in America in the pet shop in the mall while I was there and I was almost in tears - I'll never forgot how sad he looked.

Unfortunately animals just aren't regarded as highly in other countries as they are over here :(

There are obviously exceptions as you say confusedman but as a general rule animal welfare is not as thorough in other countries as it is here.

I find it very difficult when i go abroad to see these sorts of things :(

I would NEVER, EVER go to China, they are barbaric when it comes to animals and it actually makes me physically sick

Just a completely different culture though

Unfortunately animals just aren't regarded as highly in other countries as they are over here :(

There are obviously exceptions as you say confusedman but as a general rule animal welfare is not as thorough in other countries as it is here.

I find it very difficult when i go abroad to see these sorts of things :(

I would NEVER, EVER go to China, they are barbaric when it comes to animals and it actually makes me physically sick

Just a completely different culture though

i have to agree! the dogs in turkey roam the streets covered in fleas and ticks and are ever so thin...didnt see any pet shops there though but tbh i wasnt looking!

Puppies are sold in pet shops in the UK too. To be honest, things aren't all that great in many UK pet shops either... in fact, I have seen plenty that could be in direct competition with the Spanish ones you have seen (ie. kittens kept in small dirty rabbit hutches :censored:)!

Vera

There is a pet shop within a garden centre here, that has rabbits in the same size tanks as they keep their hamsters....its awful!!!

Same pet shop always has hundreds of floating fish in the fishtanks too.....good advert for them.....NOT! :shock:

All of the petshops near me sell rabbits in tiny cages and the only hutches they sell would be too small. The last time I went in the most recent one they were selling two six-week old buns and a giant but the giant was by himself and in a tiny cage...

The Netherlands is very backwards though, standard regs from the RSPCA equivalent are 21 square foot 24 hours a day. Anything smaller and they say no but they don't requre anything bigger! Basically that means that they think a 6x2 hutch would be enough with less than a 5x2 run. Not in my world it aint!

Emma

I did the same in a Spanish pet shop and I told the shop owner it was too hot for the buns in the little tank they were in and she simply told me it was too hot for her!!! I also had to get out before I lost it!!:(

they had two glass tanks less than 2ft by 2ft and only a foot high each with two beutiful baby buns in:evil: I couldnt believe my eye they were similar to what you normal see hamsters in in this country :evil:

That's exactly how buns are kept in a chain of pets shops around here. They qualify it by saying that they are allowed out for exercise each day. The exercise area is in front of the tanks and is about 6ft long by 2ft wide and they can only do this on a rotation when the shop isn't open so 2 buns 10 mins each day.

I saw a really tiny, super cute puppy in Tenerife, but yeah it was in a tiny cage. They also had two lionhead rabbits in a tiny indoor cage.

Back