• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
If you call yourself an animal rescue (with a name, etc) do you have to be regulated by any government body i.e. the Charities Commission or can you just set up and say you are a rescue?

as i understand it any one can call themselves a rescue ...but to be a charity , yes you have to register as a charity and be answerable to the charity commision . :)

You don't have to be a charity to be a rescue. Anyone can be a 'rescue', but I understand that in some cases you might need to have planning consent, dependent on access/accommodation.

Anyone can accept donations but if you are not a registered charity, this would be considered a personal 'gift' and subject to captial gains tax or income dependent on how it's given I guess.

As far as caring for animals in your back garden, and calling yourself a rescue, anyone can do this, many do, and are actually only animal collectors who don't have much intention of re-homing as a rescue should.

I have often thought about rescuing, but have decided against it for many reasons and would prefer to foster for an existing one.

Helen

The only reason I asked really because I have noticed there is a new rescue opened up near me asking for hutches but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

I think if turnover is under £5k a year registration is also optional.

I have a feeling that if turnover is more than £5k a year then it is actually mandatory to register as a charity. If it's under £5k then as Tamsin says, you can still register, but if you don't, you should still have separate accounts to keep your donations/rescue finances separated, and charity law still applies to an organisation which runs for charitable purposes (animal rescue is included in this definition).

We care looking into becoming a charity at the moment, although the laws in Scotland are different compared to England. We need to have a committee and a constution as well as fit into at least one of the categories on the list. We hope to apply soon, we have formed a committee of people we trust and are writing the constitution. A charity has been set up locally for wildlife rescue and given a number and they haven't even started rescuing yet, we have been running in varous guises for 6 years so hopefully we have a chance.:shock:

Back