• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nervous Bunnies

Sami M

Mama Doe
Hiya i have three bunnies which i have had since they were twelve weeks old. They have never had any bad experiences with humans and its just me and the o/h that handle them. Anyway one of them is quite confident she will happily sit on the sofa and take treats but the other two look petrified everytime we go near there cage or feed them. Its hurtful because i dont understand what we have done wrong. Do u think this is just there personality or are there any exercises we can do to get there trust? Thanks x

I remember years ago when my rabbit Rusty (RIP) had a little of three kittens. One was very outgoing from the start and would hop around the room and chase us when we walked, like he had no fear. The other two were really skittish though. I think its more a personality trait. This isnt to say it wont change as they get older and more calm.

Some buns, probably most hate being picked up. They much prefer to interact on their level. Try going down to them and gaining their trust that way. Plenty of nose rubs.

:wave: Honey is the same, she will just hide under the sofa and olny come out occasionally. I have started lying on the floor with her and that seems to work as she will come hopping over then hop away again.

She also hates being picked up, well its not so much the picking up its the putting back down she hates as she will fidget, struggle and scratch to be put back down.

You haven't done anything wrong :)

It's just that bunnies are naturally very scared of humans, we are a lot bigger than them and look very scary :lol:

I'm sure given time they will get used to you and become more friendly :)

little buns seem to be more scared than bigger ones. Main thing is to come down to there level rememeber that your a huge giant compared to them! So if poss even sitting on knees will make them feel a bit braver.
If they dont mind being picked up then just keep them close to floor for cuddles as carrying them around just makes you even more like a big giant about to eat them (hawks/owls etc all carry off lil buns)
Most rabbits hate being picked up its not natural but you can learn them to tolerate it.
You haven't done anything wrong its just a bunny thing but that doesnt mean its impossible to change there views either!

lie on the floor, on your front, and let them explore you. dont move or stroke them, just let them investigate as much as they want. they'll eventually get much more used to your size and smell, though they may never be cuddly, at least they well be happier and more confident.

Back