• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nibbler's toliet habbits...

maymie

Young Bun
Hi All:wave:

Sorry for the long post...:roll:

Im looking for a little advice.

Nibbler was spayed 6 months ago now and he and dolly live side by side (not together as I am having trouble bonding them at the mo).

I havent changed anything about his set up, location, food etc so I am puzzled by his actions...

Nibbler goes to the loo in his litter tray and has donw for ages but the last week or so I have noticed stary pees in and around his area, always next to but not in his litter tray. Its starting to worry me as earlier on, I took out his litter tray (its the bottom of a Nero 4 indoor cage - please not he does not live in the cage, it just makes a handy litter tray) anyway, 2 seconds after I took out his litter tray he sat in the area where it should be and peed! I dont get it!

If anyone can shed some light on his strange behaviour, i would really appreciate it!

Thanks
Amy :)

It may be him marking his territory as he can smell the female next to him.

When ever I have had bunnies living side by side I have always found their litter training goes to pot.

thanks for your reply!

I dont understand why he has stared this now, he has lived beside her since Christmas time...both Nibbler and Dolly are spayed.

I wonder if it is just something in the air...:lol:

Might be worth ruling out any underlying health issues first before assuming it's behavioural. I'd suggest a quick check up with the vet if this is a sudden loss of litter habits. Things like a UTI can cause this. If all clear, then could just be territory marking, frustration issues or a protest about something - they're clever things bunnies and it's not always easy to find the trigger for changes in behaviour immediately, they can be subtle things.

p.s. i agree that the territory marking, if this is what it is, could easily be related to the female nearby. Neutering won't remove his need to mark if he feels it necessary in response to another rabbit in the territory or his excitement i'm afraid:)

Back