• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ruby/Wesley bonding

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
OK. 20 mins into Ruby and Wesley's bonding and she is grooming him! Do I get excited? So far he has mostly been eating and she has mostly been looking for an escape route. However - she's chased him a bit, slumped down beside him, they've nibbled some hay together and then she groomed his head.

Think she is smitten - not sure about him. His cards are close to his chest. He just ran away from her and stamped his foot.

:shock:

:D Sounds brilliant, I'm so pleased! Even if it continues to go well, don't make the mistake of giving them more room or putting them back outside too quickly, as that can undo all of your good work. Don't be surprised if there are more scuffles later on when they get over the initial excitement and really try and work out dominance. It definitely sounds promising though, grooming and lying together at this stage is great...although I think we probably need some pictures to be able to judge properly;)

Not great pics sorry - I'll try again later. :)

bond1.jpg

bond2.jpg

Can't believe how sparkling white Wesley is next to Ruby. I'm so lucky - he is just the sweetest rabbit. So hoping it works out.

Don't even know what breed Ruby is - anyone know? The people I took her in from said half English/half lop but she doesn't have lop ears.. :?

Oh bless them, they both just wanted a friend :love:

Ruby looks part English Spot to me - pure english bunnies are quite big and she has similar markings :)

Wesley really is one of the sweetest, most placid bunnies I've fostered, I'm so pleased that he has fallen in love straight away afterwaiting for so long :)

They've just been trying to mount each other. Ruby is bigger and seems more dominant. If Wesley mounts her she turns it round. Now they're running round and round like crazy. Every time Wesley goes near her she charges off with him chasing.

Is this normal? :?

Yep, after being excited about having a friend, they've decided to start working out dominance - just keep an eye on them to make sure that these mountings don't turn into fights, but don't interfere if it's just mounting. If Wesley gets on her head though I would gently remove him, as she could give his 'bits' a nasty nip.

It's all pretty normal and hopefully they will work out their dominance issues soon...once one of them gives up and lets the other one hump him/her, things should start to settle again.

Cheers! At one point Ruby kept jumping at the mesh panel over the door - thought she was going to scale it so Ive added another to the height.

It's calmed down a bit more now. Both keep thumping the floor. Ruby obviously wants to be in charge I think. Cocky little minx! :lol:

Hi

All is good. They've stopped all the chasing and humping and appear to have settled into a long and lasting, loving relationship! :lol: It's just one big ball of white sugary gooey goo...:love:

Think I'll get them into the hutch tomorrow after I've cleaned it all up. I'm sure they'll love it. Got a new hidey house to put in and planning to put a mezzanine floor in. :lol:

Will post some pics once they're settled outside.

Last edited:
Brilliant news, so pleased that the bonding has all gone to plan :) Fingers crossed they behave themselves when they move into their permanent love-nest! Thank you for giving Wesley such a great new home :)

Back