• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people not think.- update, had to sort it out myself!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I looked at my phone this morning to discover a text from a cousin who I hardly ever talk too, she'd sent it last night. She had found an injured rabbit and was asking me what to do. I replied straight away to either take it to a vet- if it was a wildie it would probably be PTS ( she thought it had dislocated or boken its hip), if it was a domestic to get back to me or to call the SSPCA.
She hasn't replied, although I answered her 2 hours ago, and I can't believe she had to ask somebody what to do, surely its obvious- get veterinary help!

Last edited:
To be fair at least she's taken the time to pick it up, lots of people would have just left the poor little thing. Why not give her a call rather than text?

I know exactly what you mean. We get people calling all the time saying I've found an injured x y z what should I do. We say, take it to a vet, they say, oh ok, and thats it :lol:

I agree she should have taken the rabbit to a vet rather than texting. But why text rather than ring surely that would have been quicker. :?

Finally got a hold of my cousin, she still had the rabbit in a cat carrier and was going to take it to a vet 'sometime' tomorrow. We have just got home from driving in to Aberdeen to collect it to have our vet have it PTS. The poor thing was terrified and had a dislocated hip. If people pick up an animal, they should be prepared to take on the responsibility for their welfare, I can see my cousin waiting for two days to see a doctor if she'd dislocated her hip- NOT!
I think people should be aware that PTS is sometimes the best welfare option.:(

Oh poor little thing :( Was there nothing to be done?

I don't know what other people think, but personally the stress of even trying to nurse an adult wildie would be an unfair thing to put it through, and even if it recovered what option would be open to it, it would never be tame and I wouldn't re-release it.:(

Our Bruce dislocated his hip. He had to have confined cage rest for nearly 8 weeks. As Louise has said doing this to a wild bunny may well not have been in its best interests. The stress alone may have Killed it. And again as Louise said what do you do with it afterwards, we had to increase Bruce's exercise very slowly as after so much cage rest his muscles had wasted, this would be so hard to do with a wild bunny :(

Well done Louise for making a really difficult decision and helping this poor bunny the best way you could.

I don't know what other people think, but personally the stress of even trying to nurse an adult wildie would be an unfair thing to put it through, and even if it recovered what option would be open to it, it would never be tame and I wouldn't re-release it.:(

Aww poor thing, didn't realise it was a wildie, binky free little bun :(

Aww poor thing, didn't realise it was a wildie, binky free little bun :(

Sorry, I didn't realise I'd hadn't mentioned it was a wildie, I am a bit upset about it all. I also get a angry that we get left to do the horrible stuff nobody else wants to.

Sorry, I didn't realise I'd hadn't mentioned it was a wildie, I am a bit upset about it all. I also get a angry that we get left to do the horrible stuff nobody else wants to.

But at least you know you eased its suffering in the end :(

Do the vets still treat wildlife for free? Just wondering. I would always take an animal to the vets but I'm just thinking perhaps people don't want to pay :(

But at least you know you eased its suffering in the end :(

Do the vets still treat wildlife for free? Just wondering. I would always take an animal to the vets but I'm just thinking perhaps people don't want to pay :(

I don't know for sure, our vets don't charge.
I think my cousin didn't want to take it to a vet because it would be PTS, and she didn't want to pay an emergency call out- she would have been happy to let me though.:lol:

I support halfpenny totally, & unreservedly.

Goodness a 2hr. journey to Aberdeen! I really admire your commitment to suffering animals. All the vets I have known will pts a seriously ill wild animal free of charge. I do not know for certain but think they are required to do so.

When will we return to the old fashioned country DUTY of care towards animals whether wild or domestic?

It only took us about an hour and a half to drive in, collect bunny, drive to vets and get it PTS. Mike's driving was a bit scary. I did feel bad about it having to go through such a long journey, but it was the best I could do and I knew we could depend on our vets to be fair. The vet gave it a check over, but the damage was obvious, its leg was sticking out to the side, and we all agreed PTS was the only option.

Sorry, I'm getting long in the tooth. This is the 3rd shock for me in 5 days, about how we behave to animals. I suppose that a childhood in the country, 50 years ago, gave me a set of values & education which few get today. I questioned it, & found the principals sound. I need to be more understanding of those who have not had that benefit.

Sorry, I'm getting long in the tooth. This is the 3rd shock for me in 5 days, about how we behave to animals. I suppose that a childhood in the country, 50 years ago, gave me a set of values & education which few get today. I questioned it, & found the principals sound. I need to be more understanding of those who have not had that benefit.

I'm not sure what you are sorry about.:D I think you are right and many people don't consider that animals feel pain. Saying that I know a lot of older country people who would have considered it acceptable to drown kittens or shoot dogs who wouldn't work. Now a days folk can't deal with the fact that something may die, and will leave it to suffer rather than put it out of its misery.
I think of myself as an animals lover and for that reason will have something PTS if there is no alternative, but some people have completely different ways of seeing things. I really wanted to shout at my cousin, but what good would that have done, she probably wouldn't contact me another time.
Still it doesn't do me good having to hold my tongue all the time.:evil:

Back