• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming 2 of my bunnies :( :( :(

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone, I currently have three bunnies and I am in the process of possibly rehoming 2 of them. I live in a flat and keeping the separately is not working. They were a very happy trio until an awful fight left one of them injured. I have attempted rebonding but my 2 boys keep fighting and I don't want the injury to happen again. My lady bunny is an absolutely gorgeous, sweet little thing who gets on really well with both of them - the prospect of giving her up is breaking my heart, she's a very special bunny and I love her dearly :(

I am not taking rehoming lightly, and would never have even considered it, I would have gotten around the space in the flat issue somehow, but a friend of mine has just lost her 9 year old bunny Rosie and is looking for a pair. She is lovely and has a lovely big double hutch with run and an enclosed garden. I think she would be able to give them a really good home and I would keep my original (injured) bun Wilm as a completely free range house rabbit. He's very dog like and much more accustomed to indoor living than the other 2, he's very relaxed and likes nothing more than to lay on the settee watching TV!

Please don't judge me too harshly, I have never, ever given up a pet and it is breaking my heart. I have just cried for an hour nursing my lady. Do you think I'm doing the right thing? :cry:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I currently have three bunnies and I am in the process of possibly rehoming 2 of them. I live in a flat and keeping the separately is not working. They were a very happy trio until an awful fight left one of them injured. I have attempted rebonding but my 2 boys keep fighting and I don't want the injury to happen again. My lady bunny is an absolutely gorgeous, sweet little thing who gets on really well with both of them - the prospect of giving her up is breaking my heart :(

I am not taking rehoming lightly, and would never have even considered it, I would have gotten around the space in the flat issue somehow, but a friend of mine has just lost her 9 year old bunny Rosie and is looking for a pair. She is lovely and has a lovely big double hutch with run and an enclosed garden. I think she would be able to give them a really good home and I would keep my original (injured) bun Wilm as a completely free range house rabbit. He's very dog like and much more accustomed to indoor living than the other 2, he's very relaxed and likes nothing more than to lay on the settee watching TV!

Please don't judge me too harshly, I have never, ever given up a pet and it is breaking my heart. I have just cried for an hour nursing my lady. Do you think I'm doing the right thing? :cry:

I think at the end of the day you know your bunnies best and whether or not its going to work. Im sure whatever decision you make it will have been done with a lot of thought and heartache and you will do what is best for your buns. Its much better giving them to someone you know if they can give them a better life than keeping them just for yourself. I think you have made a really brave decision x

i think you must do whats best for you and your bunnys,im also sure you havnt made this discision lightly.
good luck to you and your buns in whatever you descide to do
xx deexx

I was scared that I would have to make the same decision when my two boys had a few scuffles. I definitely do not envy your position, as I live in a flat with limited space too. :(

I think you're doing the right thing if the rebonding really didn't take. Now you know two of your bunnies have great homes, and you can visit them. Also, you might consider getting Wilm a friend in the future! So you'd be giving 4 bunnies great homes instead of just three. I definitely see that as a win situation.

You found them a great home and took excellent care of them when they were with you. I can't find any room to criticize you in this situation.

Sending you bunny hugs, as this is not a fun or easy decision to make. xxx

There were good signs with rebonding but then just when I think it's going well another fight breaks out, blood has been drawn on 2 occasions. As much as it's killing me, I'd rather rehome a pair as I know how difficult bonding is and it would not be fair on my friend who has no experience of bonding bunnies. I wouldn't want one of them to end up alone :( I originally had a foursome, Wilm absolutely adored my beautiful bridge bunny, when she died the dynamic changed but they were happy as a trio, then it just changed :(

I know my friend will give them a good home, she's still learning about some things but she's determined to do things right and is a good person who I have known for a long time.

Hun, your ensuring they go to a good home, your doing the best thing you can in sad circumstances x x x x

You have obviously thought long and hard about this and if you think your friend can offer better accommodation than you can then you are doing the right thing by them and that is all that can be asked of you. Well done for putting your bunnies first. :wave:

I'm sure that none of us would choose to be in your position, but putting the interests of your rabbits ahead of your own is the right thing to do, even if it is the hardest

Exacly the same thing happened to me... I beat myself up black and blue, and worried myself sick about the decision I made. I was an emotional wreck TBH. Ensuring that George went to a new home made me feel so much better, and it was a relief.

I understand what you are going through, and you are making the right decision, so you are ensuring all the buns have a better quality of life. :)

Thanks for all your lovely comments, it helps me to know that some people have been in the same situation. I just hope people realise I haven't just got fed up of these two buns, I adore my lady bun in particular, she is very special, and it's not a decision I ever wanted to make :(

Thanks.

i'm in a similar situation except that my partner and myself are separating. my problem is that i will not be able to afford both my rabbits by myself. My two aren't bonded so seperating them isn't the problem - it's choosing between them.
I know we all go on about how we must take responsibility for our pets but sometimes being responsible means re-homing them to someone who can give them more or better than you can. This is a very hard descision to make and I personally think that you are doing the best for all 3 of your rabbits xxx

i'm in a similar situation except that my partner and myself are separating. my problem is that i will not be able to afford both my rabbits by myself. My two aren't bonded so seperating them isn't the problem - it's choosing between them.
I know we all go on about how we must take responsibility for our pets but sometimes being responsible means re-homing them to someone who can give them more or better than you can. This is a very hard descision to make and I personally think that you are doing the best for all 3 of your rabbits xxx

Sorry to hear, sadly i too am going through this after my recent split with my partner.

Its awful deciding.

If you need a chat im here :wave:

Back