• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding , how do you do it on your own

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
:wave: some of you might have seen my other post about Daphne going into stasis, well she is eating now but i've been given fibreplex to give 3 x a day just wrapped daphne in a towel turned on her back like a baby and tried to get the syringe into her mouth , what a pain that was , got it in and thought great we're getting somewhere only to syringe it in and when i took the syringe out it all came dribbling out of her mouth i don't think she swallowed any! tried to put some on a basil leaf but she's not playing that game what am i supposed to do it's got me in tears she needs to have it but i'm worried i'm stressing her by giving it her , I don't have anyone local to me that can help don't know what to do :(

Honey is particularly difficult to syringe panacur into. I wrap her in a towel so she is sideways on if you know what I mean then I put my right arm over her back and hold her head as she bucks. With my left hand I put the syringe in the side of her mouth making sure I am holding her firmly.

You need to wrap her in a towel again. Kneel on the floor with her between your knees, her bum towards you. Then administer the Fibreplex into the side of her mouth behind her incisors. Aim it horizontally across her mouth, not so as it shoots straight down her throat.

I use the method described by the others, so no other advice there really. Have you got a neighbour or local friend you can ask to help?

You need to wrap her in a towel again. Kneel on the floor with her between your knees, her bum towards you. Then administer the Fibreplex into the side of her mouth behind her incisors. Aim it horizontally across her mouth, not so as it shoots straight down her throat.

Ok thankyou i will give it another go , should i leave it a little while as she got quite stressed when i tried , maybe that was because I was getting stressed too :oops:

I use the method described by the others, so no other advice there really. Have you got a neighbour or local friend you can ask to help?

No most of my freinds have allergies to rabbits :roll: and the only one that could possibly do it is away. i'm going to give Jane' idea a go now, wish me luck !

Back