• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just come back from the vets with Daphne U/D she's now sneezing!

Daphne & Peanut

Alpha Buck
What a morning i've had , went out to feed the buns as usual and Daphne was laid in her litter tray , she didn't come and greet me as usual and everytime i moved her she would just lay down. I tried to give her some cucumber and basil (her favourites) but she didn't touch it so i knew i needed to get her to the vets.

The vets were fab the nurse was trained by frances harcourt brown and she was excellent with Daphne who they have said is in Stasis. She showed me how to syringe feed the science recovery. they checked her temperature which is slightly low so I have put a heat pad in her dog crate with her also checked her teeth which are fine.

She has also had 1 injection of baytril, 1 injection of metacam and 1 injection of metoclopramide. I asked if I could have so pain relief to take away and they said she souldn't need it! I've been given fibreplex to give her 2.5mls 3 times a day.

Now since we've been home Daphne has now eaten a piece of cucumber and basil and is nibbling on some hay so do I still need to syringe feed her if she is eating on her own?

Tamsin x

Last edited:
I wouldn't syringe feed if she is eating by herself as the stress could make her go on hungerstrike :)

:wave:Thanks for that , i've put some of the science recovery into a bowl so she can eat it if she wants she's also got pellets and hay and i keep giving her little bits of veg which she's eating. :D

I'm just worried that she's eating as she had pain relief and once that wares off she may stop eating again and the vets wouldn't give me any pain relief to bring home :?

I'm just worried that she's eating as she had pain relief and once that wares off she may stop eating again and the vets wouldn't give me any pain relief to bring home :?

Hopefully she's over the worst. Just keep an eye on her and if she does stop eating again you'll have to take her to the vets again for a top-up :)

If she stops eating again then this is generally an indication that the pain has come back yes so you will need to pop her back to the vet for more pain meds. It's really important that you keep her eating as much as possible and also keep her moving around from time to time. She might look out of sorts but still encourage her to have a quick run around a couple of times throughout the day. Moving around plays an important part in maintaining gut motility. If she's off her favourite foods then try something new, fresh herbs always go down well here with stasis and when she eats, whatever it is, it will help stimulate her appetite to keep her eating. If she's still only picking at food and hasn't had an awful lot by bedtime then I would consider syringe feeding her, but it all depends on how much she has eaten and how stressful she finds the process. If you are at all worried about her again at any point during the day then just give them a call at the vets and i'm sure they'll be happy to help, or see her again if need be. Pain relief lasts 24 hrs so just be a bit more vigilant as it begins to wear off as to how she is doing.

Hopefully she's over the worst. Just keep an eye on her and if she does stop eating again you'll have to take her to the vets again for a top-up :)

Fingers crossed she is , i've never had a bun with Stasis before so i'm watching her every move.

she's still eating and pooing but she has sneezed 3 times in the last few minutes is this something I should be concerened about?

Thanks

Hi she's sneezed once more and there's no discharge , i've also decided to bring peanut in and put him beside her , they're not bonded but live side by side and can see each other through their runs so I thought she might be stressed not having him there and he might encourage her to eat, they're both in 48" dog crates which i know isn't perfect but for one night should be fine i hope.

Hi she's sneezed once more and there's no discharge , i've also decided to bring peanut in and put him beside her , they're not bonded but live side by side and can see each other through their runs so I thought she might be stressed not having him there and he might encourage her to eat, they're both in 48" dog crates which i know isn't perfect but for one night should be fine i hope.

They will both be fine in crates overnight.

xx

Back