• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help-His Behaviour Is Turning Me Into An Emotional Wreak :(

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I really need some words of support & any advice would be most grateful as I'm so upset by Dylan's behaviour...

It all started when he came back from a week at bunny boarding (prior to going he was a confident but calm litter trained bun) - he's come back a monster!
He is now in a hyper state all the time, is ignoring his litter tray completely (even when solied bedding is put in it) & weeing & pooing in the hay part of his hutch (which he's never done before). He also came out yesterday when I was cleaning the hutch out (his hutch is within a cabin so he hops about in there) & sprayed up the wall. After cleaning it all up he then blatantly sat where I'd cleaned it up & did a huge wee which as you can imagine trickled into the wood on the floor (I'd laugh if I wasn't so upset!). So I put him back in his hutch so I could scrub the floor. He's also been humping a football :oops:
So at the moment I can't let him out as he's going to ruin the cabin (which wasn't cheap to buy) if he keeps weeing/spraying everywhere in it. He can't go out in his run as it's raining (so I'm also feeling guilty about keeping him in his hutch, even though it's a large one).

I'm guessing this is all to do with hormones (he's 4.5 months old) but how can he change so much in just a week?!
I'm so upset as I'm getting angry & frustrated as all I seem to be doing at the moment is scrubbing! He was such a lovely thing before he went to boarding :cry:
Can hormones cause this behaviour so quickly?
The problem is that my Vets will not neuter until 6 months of age - I think I'll end up with grey hair if I wait that long! Am I within my rights to take him to another practice that neuter boys at 4-5 months?

Any help, advice or words of support most appreciated as I keep bursting into tears thinking I've done the wrong thing in getting another bun after losing Merlin who was a complete angel :cry::cry:

You have a completely normal hormonal entire Buck :D

Just think yourself lucky you have not yet had a direct hit of wee spray in your mouth :D

Yes, you can take him to another Vet. He is obviously feeling very frustrated and this will impact on his quality of life (and yours !!)

Good luck

xx

Yep, whip off his bits. Males can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop and I'm guessing from his behaviour they have definitely arrived!

Don't expect an instant fix as it takes a few weeks for the hormones to drop so it's more of a gradual improvement than miracle cure (just so don't panic if he comes back still a little naughty).

Definately normal buck behaviour. Can you not put lino down in the cabin so it is easly cleaned up. Are you comparing him to how Merlin was? I think you should just take a step back and stop getting stressed by his actions as he is just being a rabbit who as come into adolesence.
Good luck and as Jane said thank yourself lucky that you haven't had wee in your mouth or face as that is really a wonderful experience:shock::lol::lol::lol:

As well as him being hormonal and reaching the demonic teens i think the boarding could of hyped him up quite a bit too... it took Alvin about a month to settle after he came home from boarding... poor Pearl was humped non stop :shock:

must be the other rabbits scents get them all randy or unsettled or something, they had to put a board infront of the cage to stop him chasing pearl when they was actually there so he couldnt see the other rabbits :oops::roll:

bear with him, Alvin was a complete :censored: as a teen bunny, and hes still a stroppy git now, but much calmer and lovely at 2 years old :love::love::love:

i agree with everyone else!
If he's been a solo bunny until now, going into boarding was probably the first time her saw and smelled girly buns since leaving his mum, so he's probably just realised what his hormones and testicles are for!! :oops::lol:

If he's that hormonal then his testes have almost certainly dropped, so as long as he's otherwise healthy, he should be ready for the snip! Good luck til then, and yes, get some lino....and a face mask?! :shock::lol:

My male bun was a nightmare before I had him done, I got sprayed 2 or 3 times a day at least, I went through so much washing powder it's unreal! Get him to another vet and get those plums off! Poor lad is super duper horny! :lol:

I was sat on the sofa on my lappy the other night and 3 times i got sprayed.....my little boy was howling as i was literally drenched every time......then the culprit went to see the plum fairy 2 days later :)

Definately normal buck behaviour. Can you not put lino down in the cabin so it is easly cleaned up.
I think you should just take a step back and stop getting stressed by his actions as he is just being a rabbit who as come into adolesence.

Thanks for this advice (& to everyone else who has replied :thumb:). I tried to take a step back as you said yesterday & felt calmer for doing so.
I've also been out & bought some lino so just need to borrow my dad now to put it down in the cabin for me.
I'm hoping it'll be dry tommorow so that he can go out in his run for a bit.
Also ringing round the vets tommorow to look into geting him booked in. Decided I'll re-try my own to double check thay definately won't get him done before 6 months & if they still say no then will take him to another practice.
Thanks again x

hehe he's a right norty little man! :lol: Our vets were good and encouraged neuturing/spayed before 6 months by doing it for cheaper if they were under 6 months (think there minimum was roughly 4 months but they look at each individual bunny to see if their ready yet) :D

Thanks for this advice (& to everyone else who has replied :thumb:). I tried to take a step back as you said yesterday & felt calmer for doing so.
I've also been out & bought some lino so just need to borrow my dad now to put it down in the cabin for me.
I'm hoping it'll be dry tommorow so that he can go out in his run for a bit.
Also ringing round the vets tommorow to look into geting him booked in. Decided I'll re-try my own to double check thay definately won't get him done before 6 months & if they still say no then will take him to another practice.
Thanks again x

Glad you seem to be happier:D

My vets will neuter at exactly 16 weeks. When I took Rucksby he was tiny but we never saw any naughty behaviour because we had got in quick.

Back