• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Deposits!!

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Ughh!!! I'm moving into a new apartment, and they're charging me a pet deposit for my two rabbits. Which, in itself, isn't insane as bunnies are destructive. However, they're charging me $200 (125 pounds) as a "pet fee", then $200 more for a security deposit! And they said I was lucky, because I have two bunnies and they're only charging me for one!!

They wanted to charge me $800 (500 pounds) for 2 bunnies!!

:evil:

If anyone rents and has bunnies, pleeeease don't let them destroy stuff, because they jack up the deposit for the next poor person with rabbits. :(

I can understand charging extra as a deposit (which is surly refundable when you move out), but charging them an acutal fee sounds silly to me!! Where does this fee go? What's it used for? It's not like the bunnies have to have a credit check or references organised!!

Hannah

I'm glad my landlord doesn't do that - I have 5!

Mine are outside though so are only indoors supervised and don't get chance to destroy anything!

That sucks but it could be worse - in all places I have rented I wasn't allowed to have pets at all. It is causing such a problem that the Dog's Trust have a campaign going to encourage landlords to let tenants keep pets, even if it means paying a deposit.

I am really sorry you had to pay money but I am also envious at the same time. Bizarre or what!

Emma

This was one of the reasons we chose this house is because they allowed pets with no extra deposit :) if you look hard i'm sure there are some pet loving landlords :D

That's not too bad really. When I was renting there was a no pets rule with most houses but if you did get special permission then, even though the place was unfurnished they would get the place professionally fumigated and the carpets cleaned and deduct the cost from the £900 deposit. We decided no pets was easier until we could afford to buy.

I can understand charging extra as a deposit (which is surly refundable when you move out), but charging them an actual fee sounds silly to me!! Where does this fee go? What's it used for? It's not like the bunnies have to have a credit check or references organised!!

Hannah

I often wished the bunnies paid ME rent. Get a job, rabbits! I'm sure any petting zoo would hire you! :lol:

But yes, the "fee" is silly. Deposits I understand. But sheesh!

Rabbit. $30. Rabbit apartment fee. $200.

Go figure. :roll:

That sucks but it could be worse - in all places I have rented I wasn't allowed to have pets at all. It is causing such a problem that the Dog's Trust have a campaign going to encourage landlords to let tenants keep pets, even if it means paying a deposit.

I am really sorry you had to pay money but I am also envious at the same time. Bizarre or what!

Emma

That's really surprising! Is that just in the Netherlands or is it getting to be across larger sections of Europe?

I should count my blessings! :)

This was one of the reasons we chose this house is because they allowed pets with no extra deposit :) if you look hard i'm sure there are some pet loving landlords :D

Hehe, but this apartment is only $835 (522 pounds) for two bedroom in a nice area. So I should probably stop whining. :oops:

id happily pay an extra deposit if it meant landlords allowed pets :D.. as it is we have to get the carpets professionally cleaned because of the dog no extra payment.. it wasnt even written into the contract but i agreed with the letting agent this is what we would do on vacating the property :D

:wave:Be happy, when we moved into our rental house in England they charged us one half a months rent pet deposit, which is 1100 pounds. At the time, the exchange rate was 2 dollars to the pound, so we ended up paying a $2200 pet deposit. Unfortunately, that was way less than the cost to ship them to England:shock::shock::shock: I think we may finally be recovering from that bill:lol:

:wave:Be happy, when we moved into our rental house in England they charged us one half a months rent pet deposit, which is 1100 pounds. At the time, the exchange rate was 2 dollars to the pound, so we ended up paying a $2200 pet deposit. Unfortunately, that was way less than the cost to ship them to England:shock::shock::shock: I think we may finally be recovering from that bill:lol:

:shock:

I hope your bunnies know how much you love them. :lol:

Back