• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im convinced my rabbit is going to turn evil (nipping and grunting)

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
So, Ive found myself with a stray rabbit, Ive had her with a couple of days now and she is my first rabbit. She went to the vets and has been prescribed a course of baytril for a bit of a snuffly nose.
Im convinced she is going to become agressive, as she is very territorial of her cage, grunts sometimes when I try to pick her up, and when I put my hand round her body to pick her up, she turns to look at my hand as if she is going to bite, and sometimes makes a little grunt. I'm considering taking her on full time, but I doubt I can handle an agressive rabbit as my first.

She has also nipped me a couple of times, once to say oi, put me back in my cage (I think) and on my leg when I was trying to give her baytril and she was telling me off.
I have no clue how old she is, and I don't think she is spayed.

Is there another way I can give her baytril? With my tortoises I put it on a small lettuce leaf and they eat it that way. She has certainly wised up and knows when im going to give her the meds and isnt having any of it anymore!

Hi there.

I would bet that she is being a bit nippy because she isn't spayed. It would be worth doing for many reasons.

As far as giving baytril to an unwilling patient, you can put it in a raisin or a grape or similar. That normally works wonders.

Good luck.

ditto to everything said. Hormonal bunnies can be very aggressive and spaying will also remove the risk of uterine cancer which is very common in unspayed does.

I mix my baytril with bananna puree and they lap it off a dish. only trouble then is trying to stop the other bunnies eating it :)

Im definatley going to get her spayed. Just waiting for her to finish this course of baytril and then get her myxi jab first.
Then comes the important decision of whether she is going to live with me or not.
Thanks for the advice so far!

Definatley get her Spayed, both Autumn and Sophie were agressive when they where hormonal, Autumn used to go for my jeans and the broom, she managed to catch my Legs on a number of occasions too. Poor Charlie bore the brunt of her though, everytime the poor guy moved she humped him! Sophie on the other hand was territorial of her place under the stairs, and I got lunged at when cleaning. After neutering both where sweetness and light!

Its good to hear that it might not be a permanent thing. I think the problem is I worked with mostly agressive rabbits at the rspca, so Im now convinced all rescues are going to turn out this way!

In addition to the advice on spaying I think female bunnies do take a while to settle in and get to know you.

When I first got my rescue bunny Suzi about a year ago she was really territorial to begin with a would often nip me and once gave me a really nasty bite on the hand when I was cleaning their pen. The people who had her previously also said she was territorial. I squeaked at her when she nipped me because apparently bunnies do that to educate baby bunnies that it hurts (OH thought I was crazy!)

She doesn't nip me anymore and really seems much more chilled. She is still bossy but now she just barges me with her head to get me to move or give her a treat. I don't trust her as much as our male rabbit and am still careful cleaning the cage but she really has become quite a cuddle bun.

Peluda (nethie dwarf) occasionally nips me (unspayed, but booked in). She was especially nippy when I was giving her Baytril, but to be fair to her I would bite someone who was squirting vile meds and apple juice into my mouth. I would hold her on my lap, hold her head and squirt the baytril in using a little syringe. Luckily she's small, so I can do that. She also bites the vets, but he does keep poking at her!

If she bites now (off the baytril), she gets moved off that person and ignored. If she's doing her peculiar bitedigbitedig at people's clothing, she gets a tap on the nose (lightly) and then moved and ignored. She is kind of getting better.

I got a rescue rabbit in feb this year. Mandy was realy agressive towards anybody and is a house bun. We brought our other buns in and she took herself out of her hutch well kicked the door down and the next time we went to check he was sitting next to him. 30 days later 3 baby bunnys appeared we have kept them. I agree she should be neutered as it will calm her down the possibly if you decide to keep her a bunny husband

Yep, A bunny husband is something I will consider once she has settled, especially since the rspca near my house is always so full of rabbits.
She seemed better this morning, I fed her her baytril on some romaine which she took no problems and allowed me to stroke her in the cage with no complaints. God forbid I should ever reach for her food bowl though.
Getting her some bigger more permanent accomodation very soon also, so im thinking that might help if she's a bit frustrated.

Back