• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Limp - I think Mopsy has it U/D post 12

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
I started another thread about Mopsy not being well and someone mentioned a reaction to the cylap vhd vaccine. I looked it up and its exactly what Mopsy has!!!

Am furious with the vet for saying there was no reaction!!:evil:

I am going back tomorrow so I will tell the vet but I need to be armed with lots of good info. So throw whatever you have this way!

Last edited:
I have never had a bun have a cylap vaccine always lapinject and I've never had any bother.
I think Jack's Jane was gathering alot of information on the Cylap vaccine and I think if your bun has had a reaction you should ask your vet to report it along with the batch number of the vaccine to the maunfacturer.
I would always ask for Lapinject in future, I'm not sure there's been any reactions associated with that one.
Makes me wonder why vets still use Cylap? :?

My vets use Cylap, but I have asked them to order in Lapinject for me, which they have done.

I think they now do it in smaller vials so the vets should be willing to order it in. I have no idea why my vet still uses Cylap though! :)

Oh dear. Not sure which my vet uses. Is the reaction something that can happen? All my buns have had cylap (at the shelter) and they have been fine, wouldn't want to risk it though if it's some thing they can become sensitised to. They are due their VHD jab in a month :shock::?

A lot of vets don't use lapinject as when a vial is opened it has to be disposed of, and they're commercial sized vials so naturally expensive!

Also, it is possible that your vet will deny there is such a thing as VHD limp - they aren't allowed to. Cylap rightly suppose it will damage their reputation!

My buns have always had cylap without problems, until this last time when they both started limping. I'd never heard of it before and started panicking, but when I asked my sister (she's a vet), she explained the situ. Don't worry about Mopsy - it will go in a couple of days and she'll be back to normal! :) If possible though I'd keep her on one level so there's no risk of her falling down stairs.

Last edited:
A lot of vets don't use lapinject as when a vial is opened it has to be disposed of, and they're commercial sized vials so naturally expensive!

Also, it is possible that your vet will deny there is such a thing as VHD limp - they aren't allowed to. Cylap rightly suppose it will damage their reputation!

My buns have always had cylap without problems, until this last time when they both started limping. I'd never heard of it before and started panicking, but when I asked my sister (she's a vet), she explained the situ. Don't worry about Mopsy - it will go in a couple of days. If possible though I'd keep her on one level so there's no risk of her falling down stairs.

actually they are allowed to. One of my vets uses cylap and specifically say if you notice any side effects (especially a limp or sudden lethargy) to report it direct to them and they will notify the manufacturer. They have to legally tell you of any possible adverse side effects but also the manufacturers need a certain level of proof before a limp is declared as an official side effect. I use lapinject now as with 4 buns it is financially viable.

i have had many bunnies with limps over the years but "touch wood" nothing this year. it's definately cylap related! i am seriously thinking of going over to lapinjet.

we have had 6 courses of cylap so far with our two and no issues but is wasnt aware of an issue.

Will ask for change next time i think

My two were poorly after cylap for a couple of days they were off their food, very dozy, all hunched up and 'puffy' looking! I told my vet who said he'd never heard of any probs but they will happily order lapinject for next time!

It doesn't happen all the time. I've had one reaction out of 6 vaccines done with cylap. Most of the time it's not a huge problem anyway, the rabbit just seems very subdued for about a day, but of course they need close monitoring.

I took Mopsy back to the vets today and saw a different one. She readily admitted it was a reaction to the cylap vhd vaccine.

She described it as how you feel when you have really bad flu and your whole body aches. Poor Mopsy :(.

She has prescibed some Metacam to help.

Mopsy is a little better than yesterday but not much. She is only moving occasionally and very stiffly. Hopefully the Metacam will help and she'll be back to her energetic self soon.

Back