• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

5 years ago today, I adopted Toby Rabbit !

seagreen

Warren Scout
It was fate.

5 years ago today, on a sunny Saturday, I accompanied my friend to Warren Lodge Rabbit Rescue to help her look for a friend for her rabbit.

I really didn't want to go. My beloved houserabbit Flynn had been pts sleep only a few weeks before & I was still heartbroken & didn't think I would cope looking at buns & I certainly didn't have any intention on getting a rabbit untll after my summer holiday but somehow my friend persuaded me to go with her. Needless to say, I came home with a rabbit & she didn't.

While walking round, I opened a hutch marked Naiome & this enchanting bun, a sooty fawn with a whispy haired mane hopped forward to say hello & happily accepted a stroke & a nose rub. She then stretched up & kissed the tip of my nose.

That was it, I was in love & had to have her. I read her label as 12 months old ...........perfect ! I've always said I didn't want baby bunnies but rabbits around a year old, when the're fully grown & their character is fully formed.

While I signed the adoption papers I was told a bit more information. She had come from a family in London & had been well looked after & cared for but was part of an unwanted litter, the result of incorrectly sexed 'sisters' and unsually they knew her exact birthday - 12/3/04 !!! Hang on, that makes her 12 weeks old & a baby !!!

I had mis-read the label - its said 12 weeks not 12 months but it was too late, she was signed for, the donation paid & she was in a borrowed carrirer. I was going to have to get used to owning a very young bunny.

Naiome was renamed Abby but after a visit to the vets she was found to be a he so another name change to Toby. However, 'The ASBO Kid' or 'Destruct a Bun' would have been more apt names for him.

Toby turned from a small, bold, dainty, girlie bunny with a whispy mane into a medium, fearless bun with a long mane & Edwardian style whiskers. His still a bit too pretty for his own good but he has remained the friendliest bun I've ever met & will happily lick you to death. He gives a good massage - just lie on the floor & he'll happily hop up & down your back.

Being a result of inbreeding, Toby does have problems & has 6 weekly dentals. Coupled with his expensive tastes - Oxbow Hay for one - he ain't cheap & he's trashed my house but I wouldn't swop him for the world.

Toby, I am so, so lucky that I found you. Its been a real privilege owning you these past 5 years. Mark & I absolutely love & adore you. Nothing beats our cuddle times & I hope & pray we have many more years together.

Toby, before you have your celebratory cherry, you could you do me one small favour, could you start liking cheaper hay & save your mum a few quid.

Back