• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

behavior after breeding

shaddaia

New Kit
I have a New Zealand white, and my BF wants to get a male and breed them. She is definitely a pet, and only 2 months old. But I am concerned because several people have told me that after breeding a female, her behavior changes. I was told that she would not be as sweet as she is now. At this point so far, she loves to be held and does not bite. Anyone have any experience or advice??

Sorry don't know much on this subject other than that I would not even attempt it!! What would you do with the babies? I went to a rescue yesterday and it broke my heart to see all the rabbits that people had handed in because they had got bored etc.

To breed rabbits it is essential that you know the genetic makeup of a rabbit goind back at least 3 generations. Many rabbits who come from petshops and unscrupulous breeders will breed from any rabbits without taking into consideration any of it the rabbits genetic faults, this can result in rabbits who have health problems, such as bad teeth, cardiac problems, more prone to gut stasis etc.

To breed rabbits it is essential that you have an excellent knowledge of rabbit care and have a wide and in depth experience of caring for sick rabbits.

You need to take into consideration what you would do with the rabbits which you are unable to sell, these will need to be provided with suitable sized accomodation, neutered and vaccinated whilst still being fed and watered.

Contrary to popular belief baby rabbits are not easy to rehome, the rescue I am involved with last year took in many young rabbits whom had arrived into this world through no fault of their own only to be handed over to a rescue. We still have 4 of these a year later looking for a permanent home :cry: These are healthy rabbits who have not had any health issues.

If you look at many of the freeads there are many rabbits who are offered 'free to a good home' as their owners believed that they could make some money out of breeding. Sadly there are many thousands of rabbits each year who either end up in rescues, get let loose in the countryside, get fed to snakes, ferrets etc or end up living in a household where there owners are still looking for a permanent home for them.

I would ask you to reconsider your thoughts about breeding and enjoy your rabbit for the lovely rabbit she is. To help reduce the chance of your rabbit becoming hormonal I would suggest getting her neutered as soon as you are able at around 5 months.

Hi, I have not bred rabbits but I have read stories from other people on these forums. I would not recommend breeding from a beloved pet under any circumstances, not just because of potential change in personality but, just like some women die in childbirth, there are health risks to your pet. There was recently a thread here from an owner whose pet rabbit died during the birth process :cry: This is why it's important to know at least 3 generations of a rabbit to try make sure there are no genetic flaws. I would not want to risk losing a beloved pet just because someone else wants you to breed from her :(

I would never breed from a much loved pet. There are so many possible complications that could result in her ill or dead it's just not worth it.

To breed rabbits it is essential that you know the genetic makeup of a rabbit goind back at least 3 generations. Many rabbits who come from petshops and unscrupulous breeders will breed from any rabbits without taking into consideration any of it the rabbits genetic faults, this can result in rabbits who have health problems, such as bad teeth, cardiac problems, more prone to gut stasis etc.

To breed rabbits it is essential that you have an excellent knowledge of rabbit care and have a wide and in depth experience of caring for sick rabbits.

You need to take into consideration what you would do with the rabbits which you are unable to sell, these will need to be provided with suitable sized accomodation, neutered and vaccinated whilst still being fed and watered.

Contrary to popular belief baby rabbits are not easy to rehome, the rescue I am involved with last year took in many young rabbits whom had arrived into this world through no fault of their own only to be handed over to a rescue. We still have 4 of these a year later looking for a permanent home :cry: These are healthy rabbits who have not had any health issues.

If you look at many of the freeads there are many rabbits who are offered 'free to a good home' as their owners believed that they could make some money out of breeding. Sadly there are many thousands of rabbits each year who either end up in rescues, get let loose in the countryside, get fed to snakes, ferrets etc or end up living in a household where there owners are still looking for a permanent home for them.

I would ask you to reconsider your thoughts about breeding and enjoy your rabbit for the lovely rabbit she is. To help reduce the chance of your rabbit becoming hormonal I would suggest getting her neutered as soon as you are able at around 5 months.

GREAT post Janice. x

Back