• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spurs / / cleaning help

happybunny22000

Warren Veteran
We went to vets today for a check up for whiskey who is drinking now (albeit not alot) and for his myxi jab - the vet said he had the start of some spurrs and to come back in two weeks for a check up?

what are they?

Last edited:
Sharp points on the molars (back teeth)

Treatment is, to under anaesthetic, file/burr the sharp points away.

Personally, i would book him in sooner rather than later, especially as this could account for why he was not drinking- it may have been too painful for him.

:shock:she said they were only a little bit and the fact that he has been eating means they mustnt hurt
she stuck her finger in his mouth :shock:
she said they dont look bad and may file down naturally with different hay to get him to eat more - she said even though he has it maybe he s not eating enough
she said when I brought him back in two weeks they would know for sure

Alvin has just been done for that same thing today... he stopped eating but the teeth themselves had not been breaking the skin yet but they was enough to put him off his food for a few hours.

today i asked the vet if they were bad and he said they werent really bad but were heading that way..just heading towards slicing the tongue owwwww

i deffo think sooner rather than later is the best way to do it, today alvin feels like pants but atleast he had it done while he was at full health rather than too ill for the op..

if i was you id get your bun booked in ASAP :D

if I bought tasier hay and he ate more hay would that not help
thats what she said :( and that they were no were near breaking the skin or tongue which is why shed check in two weeks as may be ok???
:( vets :(

Is he only 8 weeks old too? thats very young to have molar problems :(

TBH If they aren't causing him any problems and he is eating well I would wait for his next check up. I certainly wouldn't want to give an anaesthetic to a young bun who has just had a vaccination:?

ETA just seen that whisky is about 8 months old not 8 weeks :) I would still want to wait a week or so before having a GA if it isn't urgent, but keep a very careful eye on his eating and drinking and if you notice any change I would get him back to the vets sooner :)

Last edited:
thankyou

i really dont wnat to put him under a ga if theres a chance he wont need it
hes eating fine so will monitir if he goes off his food then i will get him to the vets

I may have found a new potential partner for him - do you think its too soon after me losing brandy>

No harm in looking but I would wait a week or so before bringing a new one home just incase it was something catching :)

actually I was thinking of getting another hutch - whereas brandy was inside whickey was out - I was going to put the new bun in a hutch -

btw how do I clean the carpet tiles?

actually I was thinking of getting another hutch - whereas brandy was inside whickey was out - I was going to put the new bun in a hutch -

btw how do I clean the carpet tiles?

I would ditch the tiles and get new ones, you can often get them free from carpet shops

As said by others i would get him booked in sooner :) Fudge was at the vet once for a checkup (sometime last year) and she had slight spurs and the vet said to wait 2 weeks as they werent that bad.........and i brought her back a week later........she stopped eating and had a cut in her tounge :shock: Not a big cut but it was still a cut :(

Now i have a rabbit savvy vet and when she went for her 2 monthly check she had slight spurs so he booked her in for the next day just to get rid of the spurs :) Couldnt have been happier :D

Also 8 months old is still pretty young to be having dental issues :( Fudge has had dental issues for a year now and my vet said the extent of her dental disease is what he would see in a 7/8 year old rabbit not and 1 year old rabbit :shock:

Hope your bunny is going to be fine :wave:

Back