• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Filing spurs away with no anasetic...is it ok?

stampz

Warren Scout
Hey all,

Mimi has been to the vets today and had spurs on her back teeth again, I am a little concerned as our vet here files down the spurs without putting the rabbits under, she just puts a clamb in the mouth and goes ahead, then administers a pain killer injection afterwards.

She says this is fine, but I am a little concerned as it must cause the rabbits discomfort, is this treatment ok?

It looks like Mimi is going to be a dental bun :(

If the bun can have problem under GA, then in despite of the pain, for the life of the bun, it's better to do it w/o a GA

I've already made my points on conscious dentals on other threads so won't rehash it all again!
I would ask for pain relief beforehand if they insist on doing this conscious. It is well established that pain relief is much more effective when given before pain actually occurs. If pain is caused with no analgesics present then the nervous system response is heightened and sensitivity to stimuli increases so even minor sensations are perceived as painful and pain is more intense. Pre-treating with analgesics dramatically reduces this 'wind-up' and pain relief is much much more effective and beneficial.

I've already made my points on conscious dentals on other threads so won't rehash it all again!
I would ask for pain relief beforehand if they insist on doing this conscious. It is well established that pain relief is much more effective when given before pain actually occurs. If pain is caused with no analgesics present then the nervous system response is heightened and sensitivity to stimuli increases so even minor sensations are perceived as painful and pain is more intense. Pre-treating with analgesics dramatically reduces this 'wind-up' and pain relief is much much more effective and beneficial.

A really helpful post Marie. We are so lucky to have you on RU :wave:

I'm very surprised that some vets do this because the rabbit is a very stressful animal and just for this I wouldn't...

Chloé has dental every 3 months under flash gas anesthesia with no problem, 10 minutes later she is back on her feet ! she has molar spurs as well and it has become a routine now for the last couple of years..

my rabbit too has this done regulary although in the last 8 months its slowed down now, which is good, at first it was every 3 months! He is always put to sleep and then its done and he wakes up and i bring him home, i think doing it whilst they're awake must be very stressfull for the poor little mite, i know GA carries a risk but they're not under for that long - my Leo is 6 and he's probably had it done about 10 times so far xxx

I would not allow a vet to do any sort of dental whilst my bunny is conscious. Not only is it stressful, but they run the risk of damaging a buns jaw by using a clamp while conscious... my vet won't even consider it.

When I first heard about it I thought it sounded great, shorted opp, cheaper and I was told less stress for the bunn. But I have looked into it more, and wouldn't consider it now. Luckly mine aren't dental bun at the mo, Nunzeo does have spurs but my vet isn't touching them till they are a problem, and when he does it will be under GA.

My vet uses either full GA, short gas only (awake and running around within a couple of minutes) or totally conscious. Given the choice I personally would opt for the gas only option as being the safest.

Apparently fully conscious dentals very occasionally may result in a nicked tongue, etc (I've never encountered this myself), and full GA dentals sometimes result in the death of the rabbit from the GA itself

I have seen this procedure w/ simply cutting the spur. But is there any sanding down involve as I haven't seen that part?

If so, how do they keep the bunny still?

Back