• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found stray rabbit.

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
A couple of days ago, I randomly saw a rabbit running around on the road outside my house. After a while, I managed to catch her and brought her back to my house, where I fed, watered her etc.
At the moment she is living in a small temporary cage indoors whilst I try and find her owners. She has also been to the vets to get checked out and is on baytril since she has a bit of a runny nose.
If I havent found her owners within the next week, Im seriously considering the possibility of adopting her full time. Ive never had rabbits before, only ever had reptiles really, but I know quite a bit about them as I worked with them when I voluntered at the rspca.

I have a big, secure garden that im more than happy enough to let her run around in every day, and I know how much of a big responsibility she is going to be, but I was wondering if it would be selfish to keep her on her own, for at least a while till I settle into the whole rabbit ownership thing, or if I should just try and rehome her with someone with other rabbits and more experience. Problem is, Ive become quite attatched to her now!
Sorry about the long post.
Laura.

Well done for rescuing her! :) If she is going to be a house bunny it will not be selfish of you to keep her on her own provided that you spend time with her. She definitely needs to be spayed before being introduced to another rabbit.

Thank goodness that there are some decent people out there!! I am sick of hearing about cruelty! Well done for rescuing the rabbit and for properly researching on how to care for it. Some good news for once.

I don't think it's selfish at all. :) My first rabbit was kept by himself, and my second rabbit was alone for about a year before I wised up and got him a friend. He was still a very happy bunny though, binkying and flopping out.

I would say there's no issue keeping her alone, but it would be a good idea to have bonding as an overall goal for whenever you're ready. My Eddison is much happier with his Milo. :)

Welcome to the forums!

It was a big surprise, I wouldnt have been able to sleep had I not caught her.
She is a beautiful black and white english cross I think.
Thanks for the advice everyone, the last thing I want is for her to end up in a rescue centre so I shall do my very best.

I was introduced to bun ownership in the same way - our first rabbit was living under my car as a stray for a few days before we caught her. We put posters up to try and find her owners and by the time we realised no-one wanted her back, we had fallen in love with her and kept her. :D

Bun ownership is much, much more involved and harder work than I could ever have imagined, but I would not be without my buns now. They ooze with attitude and charisma and are really worth the effort if you are prepared to go for it.

Good luck with whatever option you decide to take and I know that everyone on the Rabbits United Forum will give you all the help, support and advice you need if you do decide to keep the bun.

Well done for rescuing her. This is how I come to have bunnies too. We went to a rescue and got ours a friend about a month after we found her just in case anyone claimed her. We didn't try too hard to find owner :oops:

Two bunnies are fantastic company for each other. Mine live in a wendy house with runs attached and also get a lot of free range time. Lots of people on here have house bunnies too and they seem very happy.

Ive been planning how I can keep her without it even being definite yet. I was thinking of getting one of those 6ft hutch and run combos from Happy Hutch, as their shop is only a 20min drive away. Or getting a hutch/run double decker type thing, with an extra, bigger fold away run she can use during the day. Depends on how much space allowance im going to have in my garden. Luckily its secure already since I have tortoises.
:love:
Looks like her owners arent bothering to look for her, since its been 3 days so far and nothing.

I started with one rescue bun before I realised that they are happier with company. We waitied about 6 months and then had a rabbit bonder from the rescue home bond them together.

I think once you get used to one bun you'll probably decide to get another!

Well done for saving the rabbit.

Back