• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore eye help pls

teresateddyb

Warren Scout
what do you guys think i took cotton to vets this morning for myxi jab i adopted her from p@h about 4 weeks ago she was nesting so waited a while ust in case of pregnancy anway today i noticed her left eye is sore so took her to vets got her jabbed as they say she isnt preg and they put the orange drops in eye to show any damage nothing went green at first anyway got her home and noticed some green on the lens so put some fucithalmic drop in her eye im terrified that she has myxi here are some pics of the sore eye

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/hogan/002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/hogan/001-1.jpg

Hey hun, try not to panic it might be something simple like conjunctivitis, my bunny went to the vet this morning and came home with drops for it, her eyes kinda looked like your pics, and I am sure your vet would have picked up soemthing serious if you had her there they wouldn't have given you the mixi jab wothout checking she was a mostly healthy bunny.
I asked about gettin the mixi jab today and my vet advised I get the eye probelm cleared up and a bit more weight on her before having it, so i wouldnt imagine they would have vaccinated her if she was poorly :)
Get her back to the vet to get the green eyedrop thing sorted, and I'm sure everything will be fine :)

thank you for your reply i hate myxi so much as i lost rabbits to it before i learnt more about rabbits and since losing them i always vaccinate now i have my fingers and toes crossed for her shes drinking and eating normal at the mo

teresa

All the best for you and lil cotton :) I hope it's cleared up soon for her and for your peace of mind too :)

How's her eating/hay eating? Sometimes teeth problems can cause a tear duct problem & weepy eyes

I went home the other night & one of my buns had a manky eye. Washed it & booked her in at the vets, & she's fine now, so vet thinks something may have just got in it & made it sore.

I've also had a bun with an abscess behind the eye, & that got pretty serious & she had an op. Also one of my buns had a tiny little slit cut in her eyelid that got infected. That resulted in eye surgery too. Both buns were fine after surgery, antibiotics & pain killers.

How's her eating/hay eating? Sometimes teeth problems can cause a tear duct problem & weepy eyes

I went home the other night & one of my buns had a manky eye. Washed it & booked her in at the vets, & she's fine now, so vet thinks something may have just got in it & made it sore.

I've also had a bun with an abscess behind the eye, & that got pretty serious & she had an op. Also one of my buns had a tiny little slit cut in her eyelid that got infected. That resulted in eye surgery too. Both buns were fine after surgery, antibiotics & pain killers.

she seems fine loves her hay and nuggets her other eye is normal

teresa

002.jpg

001-1.jpg

Thats how Honeys eyes start to go just before they need flushing, so could be tear duct related? Though Honey has it in both eyes. Or conjunctivitus

For the time being, you can use natural tear drop on the bunny's eyes, as many times as you want, it's perfectly okay to drop it on his eyes. It does not solve the problem, but the moisture makes their eyes more comfy.

I have use it before on my bun Bernie when there is a piece of fur stuck on his eyes. I drop enough eye drop for it to flush the fur off his eyes.

The brand name I use is called Allergan Refresh Celluvisc, there is no preservative in the substance.

One of my mini-lops had a red eye (which looked very similar to your photographs) a few months ago. It went away within a couple of days, and she has never had the problem again.

You get a crusty discharge build up around the eye when a tear duct is blocked, and sometimes dribbling.

Back